This listing has expired.
The international Primate Protection League (IPPL) was established in 1973 and it is dedicated to the preservation and protection of the world’s primates and maintaining a sanctuary for gibbons. IPPL is seeking an experienced manager for its gibbon sanctuary in beautiful Summerville (South Carolina). The Sanctuary is home to more than 30 gibbons (many of them elderly) rescued from roadside zoos, laboratories and lives as human pets and now live safely and permanently in a tranquil setting with beautifully landscaped grounds. Summerville is a charming town that holds an internationally acclaimed annual flower festival and is a short distance from the historic and cultural center of Charleston.
We are seeking candidates with the following qualifications and experience:
- Five years’ experience in a supervisory role (personnel, animal facility and captive primate management including enrichment activities) with an animal related organization (required).
- Sincere interest in nonhuman primate management in captivity and protection and conservation in nature (essential).
- Experience in the recruiting and training of animal caretaking staff and volunteers (important).
- Excellent communication and inclusive team-building skills including coordinating with all departments of the organization and the attending veterinarian (required).
- Experience with inventory management, facility upkeep, computer and record keeping skills (required).
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule and be on call for emergencies (required).
- Undergraduate degree in a biological science (required). Graduate degree (preferred).
- Authorization to work in USA and valid driver’s license with clean driving record (required).
The salary is range is competitive and is commensurate with qualifications and experience. There is a possibility of onsite housing.
Instructions to Applicants: To apply please submit electronic copies 1) a cover letter that addresses your interest in and qualifications for the position; 2) a current CV or resume, and 3) contact information of three references to [email protected]. IPPL seeks to fill this position as soon as possible and applications are welcome until the position is filled.
Any materials that cannot be submitted electronically may be sent to: Dr. Sian Evans, Chair Search Committee, IPPL, 120 Primate Lane, Summerville, SC 29483, USA
IPPL is a tax-exempt organization and is committed to increasing the diversity of its employees and sustaining a work environment that is inclusive.