This listing has expired.
|JOB DESCRIPTION:||Conservation Management duties include, but are not limited to:
• Works independently and jointly with other OSBS staff on conservation projects that will primarily involve habitat restoration, groundcover harvesting, fire management, exotic invasive species control, and monitoring.
• Serves as a fire crew member in the Station’s wildland fire management program on controlled fires and wildfires for the purpose of natural resource enhancement, restoration, fuel reduction, research, and training.
• Participates in fire suppression activities that may require working non-normal work schedule (infrequent)
• Participates in off-site controlled burns with cooperators (ex, Fl Park Service, SJRWMD, etc.).
• Prepares management units for burning as directed by Land Manager.
• Attends to pre and post fire operational needs, including preparing fire breaks, burn unit fuel treatments.
• Maintains fire equipment and fire cache in ready status; maintain, clean and organize trucks, UTVs, ATVs and work areas.
• Participates in fire effects monitoring projects.
• Works alongside cooperators and contractors of OSBS when needed
• Works with other Conservation program staff in scouting, documenting, and controlling of exotic-invasive species on OSBS.
• Collects data on identified conservation projects and serves as a backup data collector on selected projects. Monitors natural communities for management needs and effects of management activities.
• Ensures proper implementation of restoration projects, forestry operations, and other activities through field supervision of contractors, volunteers, interns and direct participation.
Operations Management duties include, but are not limited to:
Computer/Geospatial duties include, but are not limited to:
Other duties as determined by supervisor
|EXPECTED SALARY:||$44,700, commensurate with education and experience.|
|MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:||Doctoral degree in forestry, agricultural science, rangeland management, environmental science, or a closely related field; or a master’s degree in forestry, agricultural science, rangeland management, environmental science, or a closely related field and one year of relevant experience; or a bachelor’s degree in forestry, agricultural science, rangeland management, environmental science, or a closely related field and three years of relevant experience.|
|PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:||Bachelor’s Degree with a Natural Resource major (Forestry, Natural Resource Conservation, etc) AND a minimum of 1 year related experience. – OR – a Bachelor’s Degree AND 2-3 years’ experience in natural resource management.
-Completed NWCG I100/S130/S190 wildland fire courses
-Has experience on prescribed burns
-Demonstrated knowledge and ID of southeastern flora and fauna as well as exotic/invasive plant species common to Florida
-Basic computer programs, as well as experience with collecting GPS data and working on GIS projects with ESRI ArcMap software.
-Experience in the use of off-road vehicles and equipment, including heavy equipment (tractors, loaders, tractor attachments, ATVs, UTVs),
-Experience in operating small equipment such as pumps, outboard motors, and chainsaws.
-Experience with the maintenance and repair of small motors, pumps, chainsaws.
-EXCELLENT PHYSICAL CONDITION. Position involves work in variable, sometimes difficult, weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances. The successful applicant will be required to annually meet the NWCG Pack Test for wildland fires at the arduous level (3-mile walk with a 45-pound pack with a time of 45-minutes or less). Failure to do this may impact continued employment.
-Ability to interact pleasantly and knowledgeably with Station users and to convey basic station information.
-NWCG Red Card qualified as a Firefighter Type 2 Wildland Fire Fighter
-Completed Southern Engine Academy
-Experience with volunteer supervision
-Florida commercial herbicide applicator license with certification in natural areas herbicide application.
|SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS:||In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter, resume and list of 3 references
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
|HEALTH ASSESSMENT REQUIRED:||Yes – position requires post offer health assessment|