We are looking for a Learning Experience Designer who will design and curate powerful learning experiences for The School of Wildlife Conservation’s business and leadership modules with a conservation lens that are being delivered to conservation professionals in a series of online sessions.
The School of Wildlife Conservation has leveraged the African Leadership Group’s 15 years of leadership development experience to deliver this unique part time executive training programme. The Leadership Pathway for Conservation Professionals is uniquely curated to provide mid-career professionals with the tools to deepen their understanding of leadership and drive their personal and professional journey with vision and success within the conservation sector. The role will be to facilitate leadership and business training modules with a conservation lens to mid-level conservation professionals combined into four topics;
- Self Leadership: Deepening your understanding of how you approach the world, how that differs from others and effectively leverage this diversity to enrich your life, your career and the world.
- People Leadership: Bringing out the best in others by setting expectations, giving feedback, managing conflict, and guiding collaboration.
- Strategic Leadership: Connecting to the big picture by understanding your business and how your team contributes to growth and profitability.
- Commercial Leadership: Driving the business by building a high output culture of financial management and project management.
ALU SCHOOL OF WILDLIFE CONSERVATION
The ALU School of Wildlife Conservation is an ALG initiative providing support to students in undergraduate and postgraduate programs of ALU to develop the next generation of world-class African leaders for conservation. It also provides training for conservation practitioners via short courses and executive education. By virtue of its cutting edge research of the African Wildlife Economy, it is attracting researchers and guest faculty from around the world. The School of Wildlife Conservation team aims to enable long-term sustainability of conservation efforts in Africa by harnessing top African leadership talent and promoting a business model for this critical mission.
ABOUT THE ROLE
ALU creates powerful ‘learning experiences’, that distribute the focus of learning from the teacher (where it has traditionally been) across a multimodal experience. This experience empowers the learner to drive their own learning, leverage peers, tap into online resources, enable immediate application of skills and knowledge, and use project-based and other innovative forms of assessment. As a Learning Experience Designer you will use your creativity to curate powerful learning experiences by working collaboratively with The School of Wildlife Conservation academic team. These sessions will need to impart business and leadership skills to conservation professionals. You will join on a six month contract as a Learning Experience Designer for the School of Wildlife Conservation (SOWC) and work closely with our Academic Dean and Director of Academics to design and curate powerful learning experiences for business, leadership and conservation modules.
Some of your key responsibilities would be to:
- Conduct design sessions with SOWC’s academic team to map out key learning outcomes and desired competencies to be developed for the Conservation Leadership programme.
- Develop curriculum of high-quality course content, facilitated in-person learning sessions, and simulation-based experiential learning in consultation with SOWC’s academic team.
- To curate detailed session plans for self-paced online learning.
- To work to project timelines to deliver world-class, well-designed learning experiences.
- Create and update instructor guides and student guides in addition to internal guides for SOWC’s academic team.
- 3 years + of experience in instructional/curriculum design and content development in digital pedagogy, focusing on adult learning and higher education for online learning and technology based-learning
- Instructional design expertise. Understanding of pedagogy and instructional approaches, curriculum, and tool design, and assessments utilising simulations as an e-learning tool
- Have a good understanding of the global learning & development market, particularly from mid to senior executive level
- Product design
- Experience in design and development of digital learning and teaching materials
- Hands-on experience with Learning Management Software (LMS) preferably Canvas
- Project management
- Passion to design alternative learning experience with the intent to shift mindsets, and interest in delivering learning in an innovative format beyond traditional classroom teaching
- Strong writing and visual communication skills
- Flexible and comfortable with change
- Contract from October to March 2022: an average of 10 days for 6 months
- The position will be conducted remotely