This listing has expired.
The Associate Staff Veterinarian will serve as a clinician and researcher in the Rehabilitation department at Loggerhead Marinelife Center. He or she will be responsible for expanding his or her clinical veterinary skills under the supervision of the Director of Rehabilitation, expanding the clinical research program focusing on, but not limited to, threatened and endangered sea turtles, writing grants aimed at funding the clinical research, and representing the organization at professional conferences.
The Associate Staff Veterinarian will develop related external partnerships and collaborations; work with the center’s hospital staff and research biologists; publish material in peer-reviewed journals, and effectively communicate the accomplishments of Rehabilitation department. The Associate Staff Veterinarian will work with the Director of Rehabilitation to ensure the Rehabilitation department works to achieve the goals laid out in the current Strategic Plan.
Qualifications: DVM or equivalent, eligible for licensure in the State of Florida.
Supervisor: Reports directly to the Director of Rehabilitation/Chief Veterinary Office.
Rehabilitation Responsibilities, in Collaboration with the Director of Rehabilitation:
- Provides any/all needed veterinary patient care
- Implements health care of the entire collection (invertebrates, fish, and turtles, etc.)
- Reviews daily keeper reports
- Ensures compliance with all applicable state and federal governmental animal care regulations, which includes supervising the control of narcotics and dangerous drugs. This requires use of State Veterinary, DEA, and USDA licenses
- Diagnoses and acts upon animal diseases and injuries by surgeries, treatments or prescribing and administering medications, including review of clinical pathology reports
- Generates and maintains all medical and necropsy records, including legally mandated inventories of controlled substances
- Trains and participates in restraint and capture of animals for examination, treatment, prescription dispensation, or transport
- Provides emergency care for injured or sick animals
- Provides pathology support by performing necropsies as needed
- Provides feedback when solicited in reference to management of the pharmacy, operating room, laboratory, radiology, and other hospital facilities
- Provides feedback in the maintenance of accurate health records including laboratory analysis
- Participates in training of veterinary technicians and veterinary or research students, as applicable
- Supports the Director of Rehabilitation in improving and expanding rehabilitation patient care with the development and integration of new, progressive, and innovative techniques
Develops and maintains an active clinical research program in conjunction with the Director of Rehabilitation and, as appropriate, with the Director of Research
Ensures adherence to professional standards and ethics of prospective research
Evaluates research publication opportunities within historic records and cases
Promotes professional reputation of Loggerhead Marinelife Center through direct and collaborative efforts, participation in professional societies, hosting of workshops, other collegial actions, and more
Training Responsibilities: It is envisioned that the Associate Staff Veterinarian will eventually assume the position of Director of Rehabilitation. As such, both the Chief Veterinary Officer (Interim Director of Rehabilitation) and the Associate Staff Veterinarian will work together to ensure that the ASV is trained to eventually assume the role. Therefore, it is imperative that both openly communicate the full scale of responsibilities, attitudes, and philosophies for the Director of Rehabilitation as developed by Loggerhead Marinelife Center.
Strategic Plan Responsibilities: The Associate Staff Veterinarian is responsible for assisting the Director of Rehabilitation in overseeing the accomplishment of departmental goals and Center-wide goals as it relates to the Rehabilitation Department, including but not limited to the following:
- Attaining local, national, and international recognition as a leading authority in sea turtle rehabilitation
- Improving operation of the sea turtle hospital
- Planning for expansion
- Planning for major catastrophe
- Oversees the management of the sea turtle Rehabilitation Department in collaboration with the Director of Rehabilitation
- Reinforces policies and procedures for the Rehabilitation Department
- Works with the Director of Rehabilitation to develop and adhere to an annual budget for the Rehabilitation Department promoting fiscal responsibility
- Identifies and promotes professional growth opportunities for staff
- Maintains an awareness of the goals and accomplishments of Loggerhead Marinelife Center
- Adheres to monthly requests presented by the CEO and COO, i.e., monthly reporting to the Board of Directors
Introductory Period: It is the policy of LMC that all team members, including newly hired, transferred and promoted team members, will be carefully monitored and evaluated by the CEO and the staff veterinarian for an initial introductory period on the job (3 months, 6 months and 1 year). After satisfactory completion of the introductory evaluation, such team members will be evaluated on an annual basis.
About Loggerhead Marinelife Center: Unique among nonprofits, LMC is a totally free (no charge) facility in Palm Beach County, FL. We rely on the generosity of our guests and our supporters to power our mission and vision. Our amazing 30 year history is one of community, family, and fun. The good work we do on campus is designed to help promote the conservation of ocean ecosystems and the protection of threatened and endangered sea turtles. LMC is one of the top visited cultural destinations in Palm Beach County attracting over 360,000 visitors annually.
LMC’s core focus areas are Education, Research, Rehabilitation, and Conservation. LMC’s campus is widely known for our world class sea turtle hospital, our cutting edge sea turtle research laboratory, our sea-side themed gift boutique, and our very popular public and signature events.
In 2013, LMC assumed management of the iconic Juno Beach Pier and has launched a global responsible pier initiative (RPI) which has over 60 member piers worldwide. In 2016, LMC further expanded operations via a strategic partnership with FPL to manage the retail operations and consult on programming at Manatee Lagoon, an eco-discovery center in Rivera Beach, FL.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to work long hours in the sun and at night in extreme conditions. The employee is required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Application: Interested candidates, please email a cover letter and resume with “Associate Staff Veterinarian” in the subject line to: [email protected]
* This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
You can also mail your application materials to:
Loggerhead Marinelife Center
Attn: Human Resources
14200 U.S. Highway One
Juno Beach, FL 33408