Macaw populations have declined significantly over the past decades. The main causes are illegal poaching for the pet trade and the loss of mature forest habitat. Macaw Recovery Network’s vision is to see a future with thriving parrot populations in healthy, connected forests, across their former ranges. Their conservation breeding center consists of over 80 rescued non-releasable macaws, that through breeding and release of their offspring, can still contribute to the conservation of their wild relatives. They also monitor wild Macaw populations to assess population trends.
MRN offers a diverse set of interesting volunteering opportunities such as Bird Keeper, Field assistant, Tour guide, Handy man and a highly regarded Apprenticeship program for post graduates to bridge the gap to a paid position.
Please find more information and apply here: https://macawrecoverynetwork.org/support-our-cause/macaw-volunteer-opportunities/
No previous experience or academic background in Biology needed. However applicants with a background in a relevant field for the position applied for are preferred.
The volunteer is expected to work 5.5 days a week. Monday to Friday from 5.30am until 5pm with a three-hour break and half a day of work in the weekend.
Duration of Work:
The minimum duration is one month
Desirable personal Qualities:
- Dependable and responsible
- Motivated and positive with a desire to contribute
- Interested in bird- and nature conservation
- Flexible, friendly, patient and optimistic
- Sense of humor is helpful.
- Great experience both in terms of travel and supporting a non-profit
- Increased understanding and appreciation of different values and lifestyles
- Increased skill in creative problem-solving
- Increased skill in team-communication
All international and nation travel costs to get to the site are your responsibility. Volunteers who stay for less than six months pay $300 per month for on-site accommodation and all utilities. Volunteers buy and prepare all their own food and we recommend you budget for at least $40 per week.