This listing has expired.
We are seeking a Marine Species Adviser to support high profile ongoing species and impacts advice work within JNCC. The post-holder will be expected to take the lead on tasks and to work closely with others to seek their input where needed. They will routinely work with colleagues in the Statutory Nature Conservation Bodies, regulatory agencies, Defra and the Devolved Administrations. They will also be required to support work on national and international reporting where necessary.
- Work with JNCC and country agency staff to provide advice to Government(s) on issues relating to the conservation of marine mammals.
- Support the production of marine mammal conservation status assessments and other reports relating to the UK’s international conservation commitments, such as those under OSPAR and ASCOBANS.
- Organisation of project and/or partnership meetings and events, providing secretariat functions where these are necessary, and producing papers and giving presentations when appropriate.
- Working with staff in the JNCC Marine Species Team, and other teams, identifying opportunities to develop new work areas and supporting preparation of project specifications and bids.
- Support wider Marine Species Team and cross team working (e.g. noise and marine mammal tasks for the Marine Management Team).
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Working Together
- Communicating and Influencing
- Making Effective Decisions
- Changing and Improving
- Delivering at Pace
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Strong background in the science and ecology of marine mammals
- Knowledge of the main provisions of UK/international marine conservation policy relevant to marine mammals and turtles
- Competent user of GIS to manipulate, interrogate and interpret spatial datasets
- Knowledge of marine industries, such as offshore renewable energy and fisheries
- Experience of using data manipulation and analysis software, such as R
- Experience of drafting technical documentation and bid writing
- Experience of project development and strategic thinking