This listing has expired.
The Sea Watch Foundation is seeking National Whale and Dolphin Watch Assistants for the 2021 season. This position will suit volunteers who have a strong interest in marine conservation and recognise the importance of educating and raising awareness by involving the public.
The assistants will be responsible in aiding the Sightings Officer with the following duties:
- Promoting, organising and running the National Whale and Dolphin Watch event (24th July – 1st August 2021)
- Creating promotional materials (flyers) for dissemination around the UK
- Social networking (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, website) before and during the event
- Interacting with the media (radio, TV and newspapers), including preparing press releases
- Using initiative and creativity to reach out to wider audience
- Keeping records of planned events
- Updating webpage with events
- Posting observer packs to participants in a timely manner
- Encouraging data submission and website updates during the event
- Collating data and imagery from the event
- Entering event data on to database template
The National Whale and Dolphin Watch Assistants will also have some opportunity to be involved in land-based and boat-based watches. However, this will be dependent on workload and will be agreed between the Assistants and the Sightings Officer each time the opportunity arises.
National Whale and Dolphin Watch Assistant periods for summer 2021:
Full period: 01/05 – 15/12;
- a strong interest in marine conservation and education
- strong commitment to volunteering work
- excellent verbal and writing skills
- an ability to work in an organised and reliable manner and to manage a variable workload, including appropriate delegation
- good IT skills (Office package)
- a careful, meticulous worker comfortable with entering quantities of sightings data accurately
- outgoing personality with confidence to interact with the public
- experience of events organising
- experience with postings on social media
- prior experience in public speaking
- a strong interest and some knowledge of British cetaceans
- willingness to work outdoors in often very changeable Welsh weather
The chosen National Whale and Dolphin Watch Assistant/s can work on-site or remotely or a combination of both.