The Natural Resource Educator is responsible for collaboratively engaging with staff, Board, partners, and clients on the development and delivery of a new approach to serving our agricultural audience on Whidbey Island – through the new “Agland Stewardship Program” to assist Small, Beginning, and Historically Underserved Farmers and Rural Landowners on Whidbey Island in partnership with the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service. This multi-pronged program will involve coordination of seasonal FarmWalk events, videos, social media, and web content design and delivery, as well as cultivation of producer and partner relationships. The Natural Resource Educator reports directly to the District Manager.
- Provides conservation education to a broad range of audiences, including K – 12 students and adults
- Coordinates, facilitates and promotes agriculturally-focused farmer events
- Develops and designs web and social media campaigns
- Develops, shoots and edits educational, engaging videos
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with community partners and organizations to support outreach
opportunities, ensure program relevance and forge new partnerships
- Generates reports and social media content as requested
- Assists staff with information requests as needed
- Must be available to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Performs other reasonable duties as assigned by District Manager
- Bachelor’s degree in education and/or conservation-related sciences
- Minimum of two years of informal or formal educator experience. Experience teaching science is preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding, experience or education in agriculture, natural resource science or environmental science
- Professional knowledge of the principles and techniques used in educational programming and community outreach
- Experience in shooting video footage and editing videos
- Excellent public speaking and interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to interact and communicate with diverse individuals, co-workers, and groups
- Superb written communication skills with attention to accuracy, detail, and succinctness- specifically with reports, social media, and email correspondence
- Strong creative, organizational, and time-management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.). Working knowledge of Smartsheet is a plus.