The Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association (MMA) is offering two internships at its Natural Science Museum during the 2022 summer. The MMA Natural Science Museum displays exhibits about the biology, ecology, and geology of Nantucket, as well as hand-on activities for guests to explore science topics. Live animals on display usually include snakes, turtles, a tortoise, frogs, butterflies, and freshwater fishes.
The ideal candidates have interest and experience with biology and environmental education. This position offers an absolutely unique paid internship opportunity for students interested in science museums and science education. Many previous interns are working the fields of outdoor education, informal science education, K-12 science education, and biological sciences.
The interns, working as a team with the museum manager, are responsible for virtually all facets of the museum operation, including animal husbandry, leading tours, managing and mentoring volunteers, leading public programs and field trips, designing exhibits, and running the gift shop. Natural Science Museum interns also choose a paid “elective” project to dive into their interests. This year, electives include ornithology collection specimen prep, exhibit and signage design, nature photography, graphic design, and more! This is a fantastic, immersive experience for students interested in any biological discipline, or who are interested in museum careers.
Nantucket Island is a resort community that swells to over 60,000 people in the summer. There are 50 miles of beaches and over half the land area is conservation land. The mission of the MMA is to inspire people to experience Nantucket’s land, sea and sky. Programs and facilities focus on environmental education, ecological research, astronomy, and historic preservation.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Feed and care for display animals (up to 15 species of frogs, snakes, turtles, insects, and freshwater fishes.).
- Provide engaging educational experiences to visitors during programs and museum tours.
- Plumbing, troubleshooting and repairing the enclosures and filtration systems.
- Lead educational programs several times per week.
- Travel around the island to collect species for the museum using seining, hand nets, snake boards and other methods.
- Manage and mentor volunteers and high school interns.
- Sell memberships and merchandise in the gift shop.
- Engage in other MMA activities (astronomy, research, Nantucket history) and special events (Optional).
Key Requirements and Qualifications
- Educational background in biology, geology, environmental science, or related field with at least two (2) years of college experience.
- Enthusiastic personality and eagerness to teach science.
- Interest and comfort outdoor education.
- Experience working and interacting with the public, both adults and children.
- CPR and First Aid Certified.
- Have strong verbal and written communication skills.
- The MMA requires all interns to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to their arrival on Nantucket.
Dates of Employment:
Position runs May 30 – August 20, 2022 with the possibility of extended employment through October 15th.
Compensation: $15.00 per hour. This internship is 30 – 32 hours per week.
Dorm style housing available for $30/week. Housing is located within walking distance to the town center and is a short bike ride to beautiful beaches, bike and hiking trails, museums, and other great locations. If you live on campus, you will be expected to attend all dorm cleaning days as part of your housing agreement.
Application and Questions
Deadline: February 1, 2022.
Contact: Jack Dubinsky, Aquarium Director at:
Phone: (508) 228-9198
The Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D.
We especially encourage students from under-represented groups in marine science to apply.