This listing has expired.
Naturalist Interns staff nature centers and lead environmental education and interpretive programs in the Avon, Colorado area. This is a full-time, seasonal professional growth position where Naturalists develop skills and knowledge in Rocky Mountain ecology, environmental education, interpretation, public speaking, and community conservation efforts throughout their tenure. Naturalist Interns will receive NAI’s Certified Interpretive Guide training and other professional development opportunities as part of this position.
Additionally, Naturalists plan and present public programs based out of these and several other partner locations. Naturalists gain experience with a large variety of environmental education programming throughout the Eagle Valley, such as nature walks, campfire talks, early childhood programs, and summer camp activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in on-site, paid training prior to beginning internship responsibilities.
- Reliably follow given work schedule.
- Research, plan and facilitate lesson plans for all assigned programs.
- Provide visitors and programs participants with positive, educational experiences.
- Operate a variety of nature centers, including building maintenance, trail maintenance, program registration, gift shop sales, and visitor services.
- Work with other Naturalist Interns and Walking Mountains Science Center staff to complete assigned projects that further the organization’s mission.
- At least two years of education towards a BA/BS degree in natural science, education, or an environmentally-related field.
- Age 21 or older with a valid driver’s license and able to drive organizational vehicles to offsite locations.
- Enthusiasm for educating others about the natural environment and sustainability while expanding personal knowledge of Rocky Mountain ecology.
- Experience with formal or informal education of children and/or adults.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Current First Aid and CPR certifications.
- Able to work flexible hours (including evenings and weekends).
- Able to hike up to 3 miles, work outdoors in all weather conditions, and lift up to 50 pounds.
- Positive, self-motivated, organized, and creative individual who can work independently and as part of a team of up to 15 people.
- Walking Mountains Science Center hires friendly, energetic and professional people.