This listing has expired.
Turnstone is currently seeking to fill multiple northern spotted owl surveyor positions throughout Oregon. We are also looking for several crew leaders to help manage small crews throughout the state. These are full-time, temporary-seasonal positions. Surveyor duties include, but not limited to:
- Conduct broadcast surveys for northern spotted owls; identify, record, and map locations of spotted owls and other owl and raptor species include barred owls, great horned owls, northern pygmy owls, and northern goshawks
- Conduct daytime surveys after spotted owl detections in order to locate nests and determine nesting status
- Significant job related travel, including night time travel on forest roads
- Record clear, concise, and accurate field data
- Communicate clearly with crew leader, project manager, and landowners
Surveys will be on federal, state and private forested lands. Exact work locations are yet to be determined, but will be throughout western and southern Oregon. Employment dates are approximate, and are project-dependent. Housing will be provided for some positions/locations; a field vehicle will be provided unless the employee chooses to use a personal vehicle for reimbursement. CDC recommended COVID safety guidelines will be observed. Salary range is roughly equivalent to $14-20/hour. Salary will be based on position, location, and experience.
Most positions will start in mid-March or early-April depending on environmental conditions and specific location. A small selection of candidates may have an opportunity to begin early March. Survey locations are distributed throughout Oregon and some positions will require significant travel. Please indicate your willingness to travel, and any limits or strong preference for general location in your cover letter. There may also be opportunities to work on a variety of other interesting and collaborative field projects related to special-status wildlife species for the right candidate.
If you are interested in consideration as a spotted owl crew leader, please indicate your interest in your cover letter and clearly identify your relevant leadership experience and skills in your application materials.
More details will be added to the announcement as they are finalized. Announcements will remain posted until all positions, surveyors and crew leaders, are filled. Interviews are currently underway and will continue until all positions are filled.
A minimum of one year of field survey experience is required. Spotted owl experience is strongly preferred, but may not be required if applicant has avian or other relevant field experience. Having a B.S. degree in wildlife biology or related field is preferred (but not required) for spotted owl surveyors and required for crew leads. The successful applicant will possess the following characteristics:
- Strong data collection skills
- Comfortable with a schedule that may include night, day or split shifts averaging 9-12 hours
- Flexible, detail-oriented, resourceful, and comfortable working independently or as part of a team of peers
- Integrity, quality and accuracy in adhering to scientific protocols
- Consistent record of working in a safe and efficient manner
- Good physical fitness and the ability to hike off trail in steep and/or brushy conditions, sometimes in the dark and/or in inclement weather
- Excellent field skills: orienteering, GPS, map reading skills
- Ability to operate 4WD vehicles and navigate forest roads of various conditions
- Good vision and hearing
- Comfortable using electronic (PDF) data forms and Adobe Reader
- A solid sense of humor and joy of working in an outdoor setting
Successful candidates will gain outstanding experience in field ornithology, endangered species surveys, advanced field skills, and get a chance to see what a lifelong career in environmental consulting could look like, all while working closely with a diverse team of other motivated folks in the beautiful Pacific Northwest!
To apply, please complete an application with cover letter and resume through the Job Link below. EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Application review is underway. Don’t wait to apply!