The ideal applicant will be a very creative individual and will possess an excellent knowledge of the digital media landscape, including various social media sites and will have a strong interest in wildlife and conservation. The successful candidate will be responsible for monitoring and posting on social networks, engaging in online forums, creating content, working with social media partners and participating in online outreach and promotion.
- To establish, develop and manage Opticron’s social media strategy and activity
- To increase engagement with wildlife audiences, with a view to driving traffic to the Opticron website to optimise sales
- Content will be a mixture of proactive, scheduled content; reactive sharing from partners, influencers and wildlife channels; and live content
- Social media channels will be used conversationally and make Opticron present in the conservation and wildlife ‘area’
Responsibilities and Duties
The Digital Marketing Executive (DME) will:
- generate engaging content for the Opticron website focused on conservation and wildlife themes e.g. blogs and vlogs
- post scheduled content at optimal times and be present at key times, including light-touch monitoring in evenings and at weekend
- recruit and work with a team of influencers to generate content and create opportunities for cross-promotion of products and stories
- look for opportunities with families, other naturalists and young social media influencers
- always represent the Opticron brand, maintaining a down-to-earth, professional, expert and friendly voice
- monitor and reply to social media messages and make as many comments as possible
- analyse content monthly and in consultation with senior managers adapt the social media strategy to fit best practice
- follow and act upon the company’s social media risk management policy if required
- The DME will jointly report to the sales and marketing manager and the senior partner and will work with the sales team and graphic designer.
Key performance indicators will include:
- monthly benchmarking against competitors and other voices in the wildlife and conservation area
- measuring and reporting on engagement rates and number of engagements
- identifying best-performing posts
- monitoring and reporting on influencer and other partners social media activity
- measuring and maintaining the balance of content targeting (audience focused versus sales & marketing based)
- maintaining weekly, monthly and quarterly activity targets such as frequency of posting, content creation, content acquisition and message response rates
Qualifications and Skills
- In-depth working knowledge of social media platforms, specifically Facebook and Twitter (Instagram also useful, YouTube, Pinterest, TikTok less important initially) including message scheduling applications such as Hootsuite, Sprout Social, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent educational qualification) or demonstrable experience in a similar role
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience of using social media analytical tools including Google Analytics, Facebook Insights and Twitter Analytics (or equivalent)
- Working knowledge of image manipulation applications such as Photoshop or GIMP
Remuneration and Benefits
- Hours: fully flexible 20 hours per week to include some early morning, evening and weekend working. Initial contract will be for 6 months
- Remuneration: £18,000 to £22,000 pro rata depending on skills and experience
- Benefits: Travel expenses*. Other benefits are dependent on whether the applicant is engaged as an employee or as a contractor
* The DME will be able to work from a home office but will be required to visit Opticron’s head office in Luton, Bedfordshire on a regular basis for meetings with colleagues. As such the applicant’s ability to commute to Luton will be taken into account in the selection process.
How To Apply
Please apply by email to [email protected] attaching a covering letter and CV, preferably in PDF format.
Founded in the UK in 1970, Opticron is a family-owned business with fifty years’ experience in consumer optics. In that time, we have met and exceeded the demands of tens of thousands of people looking for a pair of quality affordable binoculars, a fieldscope or accessory to help them pursue their pastime, hobby or obsession. Irrespective of age, budget or experience we aim to always provide wildlife watchers with the best mix of quality, choice, value and customer service possible.