|Band & Job Title||Band A: Principal Ecologist|
|Location||London, Leeds, Manchester, National, Sheffield (regular travel required across the Estate)|
|Place of work||102 Petty France London, Wellington Place Leeds, Civil Justice Centre Manchester, National, Vulcan House Sheffield|
|Employee type||Permanent Full Time|
|Background||The Estate Cluster which manages property and facilities management interests on behalf of the Ministry of Justice (MoJ) including Her Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service (HMPPS), Home Office (HO), Crown Prosecution service (CPS), Department for Education (DfE), Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG), Department for International Trade (DIT), Department for Exiting the EU (DExEU) and a number of Arm’s Length Bodies (ALBs). It comprises a diverse range of assets that include: prisons, training centres, operational buildings, approved premises and an office estate that supports the wider operational activities.The Cluster forms one of the biggest of its kind in Whitehall consisting of over 2,000 holdings nationally and is a trail blazer for future clusters and the one Public Estate Agenda|
|About the team||The team is responsible for promoting the delivery of sustainabilityprojects across the shared estate. It provides advice to Project delivery on technical standards and project mandates, Facilities Management on initiatives to help meet the Greening Government Commitments, and cluster departments on improving and
embedding sustainability. It provides advice on improving ecology and biodiversity within the Estate cluster, including management of its Sites of Special Scientific Interest.
|Purpose of the role||To manage ecology and biodiversity primarily in HMPPS but also in HMCTS and across the MoJ estate.|
Core Competence Profile
Core Competence Profile
Essential Civil Service Competency (Level 4, Band A)
Essential Civil Service Competency
|GPP Competency’s (Practitioner Level)
The Post holder also should have:
- At least 5 years practical field work including membership of a recognised body or institute status (e.g. MCIEEM or similar etc).
- Experience in carrying out Phase 1 & 2 habitat surveys linked to NVC.
- Experience in carrying out data analysis of habitat and species population status, specifically with regards to European Protected Species (EPS).
- Experience in carrying out EcIAs.
- Experience in GIS mapping and the new UKHab classification.
- Hold or have experience of carrying a protected species licence, and understand the mitigation and method statement provision.
- Demonstrate an ability to understand the planning process with a knowledge of BREEAM, and biodiversity offsetting.
- Post Graduate qualification, such as an MSc or a PhD in Ecology or Countryside Management or similar.
- Membership of UK Environmental Law Association or similar.
- Diploma in wildlife and countryside Law including EEC Directives and Regulations or similar.
To find out more or apply for this vacancy please visit:
https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/recruitment, follow the link ‘Apply for a Job’ and search reference 22047.
Closing date for receipt of applications is: 14 December 2018 at 23:55pm