At EPR we have two passions- people and wildlife. We believe that current and future generations should have the opportunity to live in and connect with the natural world. We work with our clients to deliver measurable benefits for people and biodiversity; and we advocate that projects invest in a strategic approach to protecting, restoring, and creating quality habitat for biodiversity. We provide client- focussed, robust ecological advice. If your professional outlook matches ours, read on!
EPR is an independent (staff-owned) ecological consultancy based in Hampshire, with over 30 years’ experience of delivering the highest quality ecological advice and support to our portfolio of clients. We are equally proud of our more recently established Eastern Region office, in Kent. Together we work on projects nationwide, providing pragmatic solutions to complex technical issues. We offer a wide range of ecology services including specialist ecology surveys, Ecological Impact Assessment, expert witness and practical habitat creation and management. At EPR we recognise that development is needed both for urban renewal and to achieve the economic progress that ultimately funds conservation activity.
At present we seek to hire a Principal Ecologist Consultant to be based in Kent. At all levels of recruitment into our vibrant team, hybrid working is available.
Successful candidates with the required skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive salary and benefits package. You can expect:
- to work with a group of likeminded people who strive to get the best results both for our clients and for biodiversity;
- the opportunity to make a positive difference to the outcome of major projects, helping to design large wildlife-rich places you can be proud of;
- ongoing support and professional development through both internal and external training;
- payment of membership fees to relevant professional body;
- the opportunity to work with, and help in developing our use of, new and exciting technologies (e.g., drones, remote technology etc.);
- to be encouraged to have your say on how the company aims are delivered;
- a generous reward scheme and to be considered for our Company Share Option scheme;
- generous contributions to an ethical pension;
- flexible working;
- access to Employee Assistance Programme;
- Mental Health First Aiders in both offices;
- free fitness classes;
- company-funded regular staff social events; and
- a dog-friendly office.
OVERALL JOB PURPOSE: To anchor future client relationships and company growth, and by progressively developing client links and confidence in the quality of the Company’s work, create a solid footing for the development of new business.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: Managing large projects, and overseeing and driving the delivery of a range of medium and smaller projects managed by Senior Ecologists and Ecologists,
Securing close working understanding with key clients regarding project programmes, and securing the financial resources needed to undertake projects,
Achieving on-time delivery of high-quality reports and advice to EPR’s clients to meet Company standards, whilst maintaining staff morale and productivity.
- Encourage repeat business by developing close working relationships with clients, by understanding their requirements, giving them honest and helpful advice, and ensuring deadlines are met,
- Take ultimate responsibility for client care and quality of output content for some large projects and a range of small and medium projects, managed by more junior staff,
- Identify resource or skills gaps within projects and take appropriate action; being responsible for initiating distribution of work, sub contracting work, or additional specific training
- Support less experienced staff to enable them to deliver project work as required.
- With other PECs, allocate responsibility for new projects and fee proposals. Clearly delegate day to day project tasks. Build the best team for the project to ensure best skills/knowledge match.
- Identify resource needs and make Directors aware of them.
- Advise Directors of training or other needs to improve communication skills.
- Provide input to Specialist Groups; especially advice and opinions on EPR practices and how these might change.
- Develop outstanding writing, logic, and verbal communication skills;
- Write or edit survey reports, advice letters, Ecological Impact Assessment reports, ES’s, Proofs of evidence as required;
- Review others’ projects and documentation, to assure technical quality, particularly in areas of special expertise,
- Input to the Performance Management System;
- Support the marketing of the business, bringing in new work from networks of contacts/planners where appropriate.
- Comply with all ISO procedures, and ensure junior staff comply with them,
- Mentor Peers, as required.
The above job description is not intended to be exhaustive and will be reviewed on a regular basis and amended as necessary.
A valid UK driving licence and a car (or access to a car) are essential, as is being able to prove you have the right to work in the UK.
We will assist with relocation expenses, where necessary, for the right candidate.
If you are interested in joining our friendly and dedicated team, please download the application form from our website www.epr.uk.com/about/careers as CVs will not be accepted. If you would like to find out more about any roles and would like a discreet non-committal chat please contact Alison Hogan, Director and Principal Ecological Consultant (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Completed applications should be submitted to email@example.com and no later than the closing date of 27th January 2022.