This listing has expired.
Lang Tengah Turtle Watch (LTTW) was founded as a conservation organisation in 2014 with ambition and drive, and the aim to help save sea turtles from extinction, based on the East Coast of Malaysia. Initially founded on the island of Lang Tengah, the project expanded to the prestigious Tanjong Jara Resort in 2016 and to date has released more than 30,000 endangered hatchlings across both sites. The organisation also operates an AirBnB (The Resthouse) on Pulau Perhentian, and is always looking for ways to expand and continue its operations.
LTTW is looking for a passionate and dedicated individual who already has managerial experience in the conservation sector to take on the role of overseeing and running the organisation. This role will be based in Kuala Lumpur, with a one week visit to the project sites every four-six weeks.
Start Date: February 2020
LTTW operates three project sites, and the Principal Officer is responsible for admin tasks associated with these sites, as well as overseeing their smooth running. Tasks may include, but aren’t limited to:
- Recruitment (of volunteers, interns, staff where necessary)
- Staff Management (regular liaising, communication and feedback)
- Scheduling (across all personnel on all project sites)
- Acting as the first point of contact for all enquiries to the organisation
- Volunteer admin (initial bookings, scheduling, pre-arrival information)
- Accounting (collating and checking from all project sites)
- Site Visits (once every month/six weeks as necessary to ensure standards and liaise with staff)
- Online Adoptions (manage our online adoption programme which we operate from Tanjong Jara Resort)
- Fundraising (continue to seek opportunities to source new funds to continue and expand our operations)
- Liaising with Project Directors, Government and sponsors
- Oversee report and proposal writing, contributing where necessary
- Managing the organisation’s marketing/advertising/social media
- Co-ordinate events on behalf of the organisation both in KL and on the East Coast of Malaysia
- Continue to facilitate existing partnerships to promote events and school trips etc.
- Manage the merchandise across the project sites
- Assist project sites with any problems they may have, and provide support to project staff
- Holding a related bachelors degree, or higher
- Holding a valid drivers’ license
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Highly personable
- 3 Years previous managerial experience in conservation fieldwork, preferably overseeing management of multiple project sites.
- Experience living and working with a small team, in an isolated environment
- Willingness to travel between Kuala Lumpur and the project sites on a regular basis
- Previous experience in sea turtle conservation fieldwork is preferable
- Experience in fundraising is highly desirable
A background in sea turtle conservation is not essential but would be preferable and well suited to the role. However, being well-informed on wildlife conservation more widely and aware of environmental issues is vital. The LTTW team is a small, diverse team and it is important you are happy managing and working in this setting.
There will be a two-month probation period during which you will be given an allowance each month and subjected to performance reviews. After this time, providing your probation period has been successful, there will be the opportunity to join the team as a full time, salaried staff member. In-country road travel to and from project sites will be covered, as well as living expenses when you are visiting project sites. However, the project is not able to cover living expenses in Kuala Lumpur.
If you feel you’re the right person to be part of our young, passionate and dynamic team of conservationists, please send through a copy of your C.V., a cover letter and details of two referees to our Project Coordinator, Bella: [email protected]
This is a great opportunity to get involved with a small, growing organisation where your work has the chance to have a real impact on the success of the project, whilst having the opportunity to contribute to shaping the future of the project. To find out more about the project, please look at our website, facebook page, or contact us:
FACEBOOK: Lang Tengah Turtle Watch
EMAIL: [email protected]