Location: Curieuse, Seychelles
Employment Type: Full-Time
Minimum Experience: Manager/Supervisor
Location: Curieuse, Seychelles
Start date: ASAP
About the role
Curieuse is an idyllic, remote and wild small island in the Seychelles, close to the north coast of the island of Praslin. The island is notable for its bare red earth intermingled with the unique coco de mer palms, mangrove systems, aldabra giant tortoises, lemon sharks, hawksbill and green sea turtles.We run marine and terrestrial conservation internship and volunteer programs on Curieuse island and therefore the Program Manager’s role at the hub is to oversee the effective day to day running of the program operations, as well as manage the staff and volunteers on base. The ideal candidate for this position will enjoy working with people and living communally. They will have experience with leadership, specifically staff and volunteer management, have a professional qualification in science/marine conservation, and expertise in operations.
You are outgoing with a passion for nature and the conservation thereof. You excel in problem-solving and love to work with people.
Being fluid is your left arm, and resilient is your right. Your feet are firmly on the ground yet you are able to conquer the highest mountain if the occasion needs you to do so.
Your sense of humour is accommodating and your understanding of diversity and inclusion is something you are very proud of.
You are amazing as you are, and we look forward to having you on the team.
What you will do
- Oversee the day to day delivery of projects, including quality, impact and safety, and the overall effective functioning of the hub.
- Oversee day to day logistics of the program including participant arrivals, departures, visits off base, day to day needs and base scheduling.
- Oversee Health and Safety protocols to ensure the safety of all participants, staff and other visitors to the hub.
- Be the escalation point for any issues which arise at the hub, including participant complaints, medical issues, natural disasters etc.
- Work with the line manager to roll out and regularly improve a set of operating practices and experience standards (“OPES”) covering all key aspects of the hub’s programs.
- Connect and liaise with in-country partners to build and maintain relationships.
- Ensure the successful implementation and delivery of all GVI marketing and internal communication initiatives.
- Along with central support and line manager, assist with recruiting and onboarding of new staff members.
- Responsible for financial and overall reporting of the hub.
- Ensure in-country legal compliance and maintain desired legal status through accurate and timely reporting.
What you will need
- 3-5 years of experience successfully managing staff
- 3-5 years of volunteer management experience
- Marine conservation experience
- RYA Boat Licence
- Education background in science/marine conservation
- Health and safety trained
- EFR Instructor
- Strong people, communication and time management skills
- Commitment, drive and enthusiasm to develop yourself and others
- Hardworking, with the ability to lead and problem solve
- Flexible, open-minded, adaptable team player
- Safety management experience
- Experience living in remote conditions
- PADI dive qualifications
What we offer
- Monthly salary
- Visa costs (if applicable)
- Emergency medical and travel insurance
In addition, GVI has the following perks:
- Leadership development
- In-house counselling support
- Training fund
- Social allowance
- Growth opportunities across our 17 locations!
GVI is an international multi-award-winning social enterprise on a mission to build a global network of people united by their passion to make a difference. We run programs in 13 countries worldwide aligned to the objectives of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
GVI is a platform for personal growth, and our staff have the ability to develop themselves across teams, departments, and even locations! We value passion, authenticity, entrepreneurship and innovation and treat all of our stakeholders with respect and compassion above everything else.
You can find out more about the types of work we do, and who we are as an organisation here.
Please submit your CV along with a cover letter stating why you feel you would be the best candidate for this role.
Please note: We will do our utmost to respond to all applicants, however, given the large volume of applications we receive, this isn’t always possible. If you do not hear back from us within three-four weeks, please take it that on this occasion your application was unsuccessful.