The Andes Amazon Fund (AAF) was created as a multi-donor grant-making initiative to support the conservation of the Andes-Amazon region in South America through the designation and effective management of protected areas and indigenous reserves. The Amazon headwaters are home to diverse ecosystems that are critical to global climate systems. AAF deploys three strategies to protect these areas that focus on both the short- and long-term:
a) Establish new, legally-recognized protected areas and indigenous lands,
b) Improve ongoing management of target areas, and
c) Secure financing for the management of these areas.
Since 2015, AAF has helped to legally protect over 20 million acres of wilderness in Peru, Colombia, Bolivia and Ecuador and improve management in more than 50 million acres. Learn more at: https://www.andesamazonfund.org/
The Andes Amazon Fund (AAF) is seeking a talented Program Officer to support its grantmaking efforts focused on protected area and indigenous land designation and management, mainly in Peru, Colombia, Bolivia and Ecuador. The successful candidate will be bilingual (English/Spanish) or trilingual (English/Spanish/Portuguese), have an advanced degree in a field related to AAF’s objectives, experience in at least one of AAF’s focal countries, and have strong organizational skills and attention to detail. The Program Officer will report to and coordinate with Andes Amazon Fund’s Executive Director. The applicant must be currently legally eligible to work in the United States.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Coordinate grant proposal preparation with AAF’s Executive Director and nonprofit organizations based in the U.S. and Latin America according to criteria developed by AAF donors.
- Review and comment on draft proposals and grant reports.
- Track progress metrics for AAF-funded projects.
- Prepare reports for donors and AAF board members.
- Regularly meet with grantees and other relevant stakeholders (government officials, protected area staff, indigenous community leaders, etc.), in person or virtually, to follow up on projects and identify needs and opportunities.
- Assist grantees and AAF team members with problem-solving and sharing of lessons learned.
- Attend meetings or events that are relevant to AAF’s work as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Master’s Degree or higher in a field related to AAF’s work (biology, anthropology, environmental studies, Latin American studies, international policy, etc.).
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Fluency in Spanish, with strong speaking, writing, and editing skills in both English and Spanish.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be currently eligible for employment in the U.S.
- Availability for travel up to 20% of the time, once it is deemed safe.
- Experience working or living in one of AAF’s focal countries: Peru, Colombia, Bolivia or Ecuador.
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of biodiversity conservation, protected areas, indigenous issues, grassroots advocacy campaigns, the Andes or Amazon region, and sustainable livelihoods.
- Experience writing or reviewing grant proposals with a nonprofit, foundation, or government.
- A sense of humor, flexibility, and teamwork skills.
New Venture Fund Careers
Andes Amazon Fund is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.