This listing has expired.
The Raptor Care Assistant is designed to support Center staff in all areas of bird care. This individual will participate in the day-to-day operations of the rehabilitation and/or husbandry programs of the Center’s resident raptors and provide support to the Raptor Trauma Clinic. They will be expected to maintain good communications within other departments of the Center, Audubon staff and volunteers in addition to the general public to actively help promote the Center’s programs and mission of caring for Florida’s raptors.
This is a part-time, 20 hours/week, position at Audubon Center for Birds of Prey offered Wednesday (1/2 day), Friday and Saturday.
Audubon is seeking an enthusiastic individual to be part of a small team committed to conservation. Applicants should demonstrate a willingness to learn, work with birds of prey and work outdoors. Those with limited experience should apply.
- Provide daily husbandry of the resident raptors including cleaning and feeding.
- Assist with the husbandry of raptors under rehabilitation as well as assist in the coordination of their releases.
- Assist in the coordination of returning uninjured babies to their nests and/or fostering into a new nest.
- Assist clinic staff with medical examinations, daily medical treatments, tracking bird progression in Raptor Med, and cleaning and feeding.
- Assist in the training and supervision of volunteers.
- Maintain and update patient records including admissions, medical and food charts, bird release location maps, daily logbooks, monthly reports, project lists, etc.
- Participate in Audubon activities, fundraising and special events as necessary.
- Able to communicate with diverse groups and individuals including staff, volunteers, veterinarians, donors and the general public as it relates to conservation and Center operations.
- Assist in maintenance projects as it relates to bird care, equipment and aviaries.
- Answer phones, assist with rescues and/or releases when needed, provide information to general public and other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- An Associate’s degree with related science or conservation coursework, or at least 2 years of relevant experience.
- Experience with animals required, raptor experience preferred.
- Must be able to work outside in the natural Florida environment, lift 50+ pounds on occasion. Majority of position is working on your feet 5-6 hours daily.
- Individual must be flexible and willing to prioritize projects as directed from supervisor.
- Individual must have good written and verbal skills, organizational skills, be a team player and have the ability to work with limited resources.
- Valid Florida Driver’s License and reliable transportation required.
- Weekend hours required including Friday, Saturday and Wednesday (1/2 day); some evening work or emergency response may also be required.
- Respect of wildlife and Florida environment.
- Commitment to Audubon’s mission and programs.