This listing has expired.
Manage and oversee the health status of wildlife under RCU management, both in nature reserves and in human care; providing a range of veterinary services including diagnosing and investigating medical conditions, preventive health care, monitoring livestock health in the region and recommending new practices to enhance the quality of life for AlUla’s wildlife. Wildlife capturing and translocation will be a main part of the responsibility.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
1. Maintain and review animal health records and data of all wildlife species in AlUla managed areas (including postmortem records).
2. Assess local and national animal health hazards and collect free-range samples to monitor the general health of captive and free-ranging wildlife.
3. Conduct and lead the animal capture, darting and translocation of wildlife and feral animals within and for AlUla nature reserves.
4. Conduct surgery and provide treatment to the animals where needed in the nature reserves and veterinary facilities. Also carried out postmortem for the animals where required.
5. Set-up veterinarian facilities in AlUla including veterinarian clinic, quarantine enclosures, capture pens and pre-release enclosures.
6. Oversee regular immunization and preventive care programs to maintain wildlife health.
7. Review all veterinary equipment requirements for AlUla veterinary facilities to help prevent cross-contamination between species.
8. Provide support to AlUla nature reserves on staff welfare precautions in relation to infectious diseases resulting from handling and close proximity to captive animals.
9. Review and develop the plans and designs for the veterinary facilities (including wildlife breeding center and vet. Clinic) in AlUla to comply with international best practice veterinary standards.
10. Set bio-security protocols for RCU managed areas.
11. Visiting and screening of wildlife in the private collections within RCU managed areas.
12. Part of the responsibility with be training the wildlife team and capacity building.
1. Provide input to the sector’s strategy from the Department’s or Section’s perspective in line with RCU overall vision and mission.
2. Develop the Department’s or Section’s objectives, KPIs, annual operational plans and ensure plan execution is meeting the targets
3. Contribute to the preparation of the Department’s or Section’s annual budget and monitor the financial performance of the Department or Section.
4. Implement and execute the Department’s or Section’s policies and procedures. Oversee the overall performance of the section and ensure KPI’s are well developed, cascaded, communicated and monitored.
5. Ensure effective staffing, professional development and deployment of staff of the Department or Section in consultation with the Sector Executive or (Executive) Director.
Bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Medicine (Master’s/PhD preferred)
8 years of relevant experience and 2 years’ experience in managerial role.
· Written and Oral proficiency of English language (Bilingual Arabic/English preferred).
· Excellent communication skills.
About Royal Commission for AlUla
The Royal Commission for AlUla (RCU) was established to protect and safeguard AlUla, a region of outstanding natural and cultural significance in Northwest Saudi Arabia. RCU is embarking on a long-term plan to develop and deliver a sensitive, sustainable transformation of the region, reaffirming it as one of country’s most important archaeological and cultural destinations and preparing it to welcome visitors from around the world. RCU’s development work in AlUla encompasses a broad range of initiatives across archaeology, tourism, culture, education and the arts, reflecting the ambitious commitment to cultivate tourism and leisure in Saudi Arabia, outlined in Saudi Vision 2030.