This listing has expired.
Assistant Warden – Dungeness (Fixed-Term)
Location: Dungeness, Romney Marsh, Kent
Salary: £23,939 – £26,558 Per Annum
Benefits: Pension, Life Assurance, 26 days Annual Leave (pro-rata)
Duration: Fixed Term for 6 months
Hours: Full Time
This is a great opportunity to work on one of the UK’s oldest yet most diverse nature reserves. There is over 1000ha of reserve to help manage from reedbeds, grassland fields, open water lakes, vegetated shingle to our globally unique Oppen Pits with a stunning array of wildlife to enjoy.
What’s the role about?
This role involves working with our warden and team of volunteers to help deliver an ambitious habitat management programme across the winter to help reinvigorate the reserve and help maintain it’s standing as one of the UK’s best places to see nature.
This post will be focussed on the undertaking of habitat management and keeping the reserve’s machinery in good working condition, so it is ready to go when we need it. This role will also be working with volunteers on a daily basis undertaking habitat management, infrastructure maintenance and helping ensure all aspects of the reserve are as good as they can be.
You will be based at Dungeness with the potential for some work at nearby Lydden Valley reserve
Key activities will include:
- Working with the team to deliver the reserves habitat management programme for the winter and help upgrade livestock infrastructure.
- Lead on the ongoing maintenance of reserves machinery in line with manufacturers recommendations
- Recording and mapping of all works undertaken for annual reporting
- Assisting with the provision of a safe working environment for all staff and volunteers
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- You will have knowledge and experience of practical habitat and estate management.
- You will have a proven track record of working of completing work alone and working within a varied team.
- Comfortable managing volunteers from a range of backgrounds
- Reasonable birdwatching knowledge and experience of biological surveys
- Be willing to assist with predator control to benefit ground nesting birds
- Full, manual driving licence.
Desirable qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience:
- Lantra or equivalent qualification in using equipment such as brushcutter and chainsaw.
- Knowledge of servicing and maintaining vehicles, machinery, tools and equipment to agreed standards.
- Experience of staff or volunteer recruitment and line management.
- Implementing and updating health and safety records and assessments.
- This role will involve lone working and working in remote locations.
- This role will require occasional weekend, early morning and evening working so will need someone who is able to be flexible.
- This is a very practical role with and expectation of c4 – 4.5 days a week either working on the reserve or within the workshop undertaking maintenance.
The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
Closing Date: 23:59, Wed, 24th Aug 2022
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 31st August 2022
If you would like to find out more, please click the apply button. You will be directed to our website to complete your application for this position.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
No agencies please.