This listing has expired.
Conservation Advisor – Maternity Cover
Reference: MAY 2022 9479
Location: RSPB Scotland – Inverness
Salary: £28,420.00 – £31,529.00 Per Annum
Benefits: Pension, Annual Leave, Life Assurance
Duration: Maternity Cover
RSPB Scotland have a dedicated advisory team who work on landscape-scale projects across Scotland in conjunction with regional based conservation staff. We are looking for a motivated person who can cover a period of maternity leave as a Conservation Adviser, helping deliver wader focused projects in the North Scotland region.
Our programme of work with farmers and crofters is well-established with action plans that outline delivery over the next few years. Your role will be to build and strengthen relationships with external partners and private landowners to provide them with the tools to save nature on their land.
What’s the role about?
The role will involve working with farmers and land managers across the Cairngorms National Park to deliver conservation actions for key farmland waders including Curlew, Lapwing, Oystercatcher, Snipe and Redshank. This work will be informed by wader surveys carried out in 2021 in Strathspey and Glenlivet. Delivery will involve working closely with Cairngorm National Park staff, representatives of the Strathspey Wetlands and Waders Initiative partnership and NatureScot. The advisor will be responsible for facilitating activities at landscape-scale, including organising contractors to undertake habitat audits; drafting work schedules and land management agreements; and overseeing on-the-ground delivery; including the creation of wader scrapes, delivery of rush management and soil improvement programmes across multiple sites.
The successful candidate will have experience of habitat management for breeding waders, carrying our breeding bird surveys, data management and working with land managers as well as a good understanding of agricultural systems, natural history and ecology.
What we need from you
- Degree level qualification in a relevant subject or ability to show equivalent work experience.
- Excellent knowledge of the ecology, species and habitats of the operational area of this role.
- Sufficient knowledge of a range of delivery mechanisms for conservation work relevant to the operational area of this role
- Understanding of the concept of landscape scale conservation.
- Proven ability to influence others and negotiate desired outcomes.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and presentational)
- Competent user of core MS Office programmes.
- Working experience of land management schemes (eg agri-environment) and their application.
- Experience of working to survey, protect and/or manage important sites, species or habitats.
- Experience of managing volunteers and setting clear work priorities.
- Experience of productive partnership working.
- Effective project management skills.
- Specialist conservation knowledge in relevant areas, such as, wetland and farmland.
- Competency in use of GIS.
This Maternity cover post is Full-Time for 37.5 hours per week.
The role will involve frequent travel across the Cairngorms National Park and beyond. It offers a unique opportunity to make a difference to the fortunes of high priority species, whilst developing your skills and wider experience.
If you have experience with ecological surveys, providing advice and want to make a real difference for the future, we would love to hear from you!
Closing date: 23:59, Monday 27th June 2022
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position on 7th July 2022.
If you would like to find out more, please click the apply button. You will be directed to our website to complete your application for this position.
No agencies please.