This is an excellent opportunity for a Project Officer to join our team at Lake Vyrnwy and support in the delivery of an exciting programme of conservation work over the next 18 months, funded in part through the Nature Network Fund.
Project Officer (Fixed-Term)
Location: Lake Vyrnwy
Salary: £22,986.00 – £25,500.00 Per Annum
Benefits: Pension, Life Assurance, 26 days Annual Leave (pro-rata)
Contract Duration: 18 months, Full Time
This programme of work will take place on 10,000ha estate which surrounds Lake Vyrnwy, owned by water company Hafren Dyfrdwy, and on neighbouring land. This landscape has a diverse range of habitats, supports rare and protected species and contains a number of upland farms including the largest organic farm in England and Wales which is managed by the RSPB.
What’s the role about?
You will support in delivering, monitoring and reporting on the work funded through the Nature Network Fund and associated projects being delivered by the Lake Vyrnwy team, helping to ensure that the whole programme achieves the desired outputs and objectives.
The overall programme of work includes:
- The restoration of upland areas, especially blanket bog and including areas of afforested peatland.
- Conservation work to support protected and rare species including predator control.
- Extended and enhanced conservation grazing especially through the RSPB controlled farm.
- Engaging with neighbouring landowners and land managers to explore opportunities for improvements to habitats at a landscape scale.
The role will be based at Lake Vyrnwy and report into the existing conservation team and include the following key focus areas:
- Help put in place the right governance structure to keep their projects on track
- Undertake agreed activities in order to deliver the project outputs and objectives in accordance with the project plan
- Work with staff, partners, external contractors and volunteers as necessary to ensure that actions are delivered to agreed standards of cost, quality and time
- Produce relevant project documentation as directed by the site team
- Develop and deliver appropriate communication activities such as events, media interaction, briefings, talks and production of materials in association with communications colleagues to support the delivery of the project
- Co-ordinate meetings and report to the site team
- Ensure that risks and issues are highlighted
- Support in managing the project budget
- Contribute to project reviews
- Contribute to the handover to ‘business as usual’ at the end of the project, by conducting any follow on actions.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Project delivery experience in a relevant sector working as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Knowledge and experience of upland conservation including peatland restoration
- Knowledge and experience of the using of livestock for conservation grazing
- Knowledge and experience of predator control techniques
- Experience of working with contractors
- The ability to communicate about the project in a passionate and credible manner
- Experience of producing written materials, newsletters and similar project related communications
- An ability to persuade and influence a wide range of people, both internally and externally.
- Demonstrable experience of developing and working in partnerships to achieve shared outcomes
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to find creative solutions.
- Able to work under pressure and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Proven time management and organisational skills and attention to detail
- Competent IT user (e.g. MS packages, Outlook etc).
This is a Contract, Full Time role for 18 months. The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
Closing date: 23:59, 20 October 2021
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
If you would like to find out more, please click the button to be directed to our website to complete your application for this position.
No agencies please.