Investigations Officer – Northern Ireland
Location: RSPB Northern Ireland
Salary: £27,574.00 – £30,590.00 Per Annum
Benefits: Pension, Annual Leave, Life Assurance
Duration: 2 years
This is an outstanding opportunity to help ensure a better future for Northern Ireland’s wildlife. Across Northern Ireland, many of our magnificent birds of prey are being illegally persecuted, and some of our rarest species such as hen harriers, peregrines, and red kites are particularly affected.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, organised and committed individual to join the RSPB Investigations team in the fight against raptor persecution in Northern Ireland. If you could thrive in a dynamic, challenging environment where you will have the opportunity to contribute your own ideas within a unique and specialised team, then this could be the perfect opportunity for you.
This new role will act as the key point of contact for our investigative work across Northern Ireland and will follow up reports of dead birds, help monitor some of our rarest breeding species and carry out targeted fieldwork in areas with a history of wildlife crime.
The successful candidate will have:
- A degree in ecology or conservation and/or relevant practical experience
- Experience of practical conservation delivery in support of species & habitat conservation
- Knowledge of wild birds particularly raptors, and of wildlife protection legislation
- Knowledge of RSPB’s Investigations team priorities and work
- Proven IT skills including MS Office software especially Excel, Outlook and Teams
- A good level of numeracy and literacy with high attention to detail
- A confident telephone manner, able to liaise professionally with enforcement partners, and also to handle reports of wildlife crime with understanding and empathy, sometimes in sensitive situations
- Taxonomic, identification and practical field skills appropriate to the post
The following are desirable but not essential:
- Experience of specialist software eg GIS
- Experience of working with Police standards for information management/best practice, and/or statutory agencies, media, or law enforcement partners
- Confident and capable of being a public face for RSPB to specialist audiences, as well as general audiences via the media.
This is a 2-year contract and we are looking for someone to fill the role as soon as possible.
Closing date: 23:59, 09 August 2021
If you would like to find out more please click the ‘Apply’ button. You will be directed to our website where you can complete your application for this position.
The RSPB is an Equal Opportunities Employer.