This listing has expired.
We have an exciting opportunity at Wallasea Island for someone looking to gain valuable experience at the start of their career, as a Seasonal Assistant Warden on a large nature reserve on the Essex coast.
Seasonal Assistant Warden – Wallasea Island (Fixed-Term)
Location: RSPB Wallasea Island, Rochford, Essex, SS4 2HD
Salary: £23,939 – £26,558 Per Annum
Hours: Full Time for 37.5 hours per week
Contract: Fixed Term for 8 months
Benefits: Pension, Life Assurance, 26 days Annual Leave (pro-rata)
We are looking for an enthusiastic, resourceful and resilient person keen to take an early step in a career in conservation and join our team until October 2023. Wallasea Island is a 750ha reserve made up of intertidal habitats, lowland wet grassland and saline lagoons and offers a great opportunity to pick up vital skills to help enhance your career.
The successful applicant will undertake a range of habitat management and species monitoring activities. Ideally, you will have experience in monitoring birds and managing the habitats found at Wallasea Island, but this post will enhance and develop your skills and knowledge. Over the next year, the team will undertake various activities to enhance and improve the reserves ecological potential and are trialling some new technology to improve monitoring of both biological and physical features.
Essential knowledge, skills, and experience:
- You will have knowledge and experience of practical habitat and estate management.
- You will have a proven track record of working of completing work alone and working within a varied team.
- Comfortable managing volunteers from a range of backgrounds
- Reasonable birdwatching knowledge and experience of biological surveys
- Full, manual driving licence that is valid in the UK
Desirable qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience:
- Lantra or equivalent qualification in using equipment such as brushcutter and tractor, PA1/6 pesticides.
- Knowledge of servicing and maintaining vehicles, machinery, tools and equipment to agreed standards.
- Experience of staff or volunteer recruitment and line management.
- Implementing and updating health and safety records and assessments.
- This role will involve lone working and working in remote locations.
- This role will require occasional weekend, early morning and evening working so will need someone who is able to be flexible.
The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
Closing Date: 23:59, Fri, 6th Jan 2023
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 24/01/2023.
If you would like to find out more, please click the apply button. You will be directed to our website to complete your application for this position.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
No agencies please.