Do you enjoy working outdoors? And would you like to directly contribute to environmental improvements in the Shetland? We are looking for a field officer to help facilitate preparation for the delivery of peatland restoration at the RSPB Lumbister site in Yell.
Location: Shetland Office
Salary: £19,305.00 – £21,417.00 Per Annum
Benefits: Pension, Life Assurance, 26 days Annual Leave (pro-rata)
Duration: 3 Years
This is a Fixed-Term, Full-Time role for 3 years. The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
Vast swathes of important peatland habitats cover the uplands of Shetland. Supporting many special species of upland wading birds, such as golden plovers, dunlins, curlews and whimbrels, these important areas need to be protected and improved.
We have ambitious plans to restore and improve large areas of peatland, re-introduce natural pool systems and encourage the holding of water in these areas.
About the Role
We are looking for a field officer for a 3 year post, to help facilitate preparation for the delivery of peatland restoration at the RSPB Lumbister site in Yell. The role will cover a range of outdoor activities, that will deliver this important work. The role consists of marking out drains for restoration works ahead of the digger contractors, planning and helping our Project Manager to map and ground truth the next sections of potential work, and helping to meet essential report deadlines to satisfy our funding obligations.
The role is largely based on our upland reserve in Yell, a vast area of peatland. The role will be responsible for covering large areas to map features and gather much-needed information for our Project Manager to use in reports and applications.
If you enjoy the outdoors and can take direction, we would love to hear from you. A fulfilling role that will make a direct contribution to environmental improvements awaits!
Essential skills, knowledge, and experience:
- Knowledge of peatland habitats to enable credibility in the role.
- Knowledge of delivery mechanisms for peatland conservation work e.g. Peatland Action Fund
- Organisational skills e.g. maintenance and analysis of datasets, and managing conflicting priorities.
- Ability to work effectively as a team player both internally and externally.
- Effective communication skills (verbal, written and presentational) – including an ability to speak confidently and cogently to a variety of audiences.
- Experience of working to survey, protect and/or manage important sites or habitats.
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Ability to rapidly analyse significant quantities of information, prioritise and balance a diverse workload often to tight deadlines.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office apps and experience of GIS for mapping
- Knowledge of the wildlife and habitats of the operational area of this role.
Closing date: 23:59, Sun, 2nd Apr 2023
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from w/c 10th April 2023.
As part of this application process, you will be asked to complete an application form including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience listed above.
If you would like to apply and find out more about this position, please click the apply button to be directed to our website.
We are committed to developing an inclusive and diverse RSPB, in which everyone feels supported, valued, and able to be their full selves. To achieve our vision of creating a world richer in nature, we need more people, and more diverse people, on nature’s side. People of colour and disabled people are currently underrepresented across the environment, climate, sustainability, and conservation sector. If you identify as a person of colour and/or disabled, we are particularly interested in receiving your application. Contact us to discuss any additional support you may need to complete your application.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
This role is not eligible for UK Visa Sponsorship – the successful applicant will need to have a pre-existing Right to Work in the UK in order to be offered an employment contract.
No agencies please