This listing has expired.
Programme Manager – Sierra Leone (Fixed Term)
Location: Sierra Leone
Salary: £36,604.00 – £40,608.00 Per Annum
Benefits: Annual Leave, Life Assurance
Duration: 2 years
The Greater Gola Landscape straddles the Liberia/Sierra Leone border and comprises a mosaic of the largest remnants of Upper guinea forest (protected areas (300,000 ha) and National forest and agricultural land (>160,000ha worth of buffer areas), totalling >460,000ha across the two countries.
The Gola Rainforest Programme supports the management of the Critical landscape in Sierra Leone – Gola Rainforest National Park and buffer areas. Gola Rainforest Conservation (GRGC) is non-profit Company formed in 2015 to manage the Gola Rainforest National Park, which is a certified voluntary REDD project. It was formed through an equal partnership between The Government of Sierra Leone, the RSPB, the Conservation Society of Sierra Leone (CSSL, BirdLife International Partner) and local forest-edge communities.
What’s the role about?
Reporting to the Greater Gola Landscape Programme Manager, the Programme Manager will be responsible for advising the Head of the Gola Rainforest National Park, Gola Superintendents and Directors of the GRC in programme implementation planning and monitoring, administration, fiscal management and assisting implementation of the GRC goals and objectives. They will serve as the management leader and coordinator of a team of Technical Advisors for National Park Management, Community Development, Research and Agribusiness and a Partner Development Officer, based in Liberia.
The Programme Manager will also serve as one of the primary RSPB field liaisons with national and provincial host government representatives, donors, partner agencies and local institutions and communities. As part of the cross-boundary Greater Gola Landscape, she/ he will also be the main contact to the relevant personnel at the Gola Programme in Liberia.
You will have strong skills in capacity building and mentoring, building and managing a team, work planning, budgeting and financial management, strategic thinking, coping under pressure and building good relationships with local and national stakeholders. You will have an interest in natural resources management, sustainable livelihoods, community-based approaches and capacity building.
- Under the direction of the Gola Landscape Programme Manager, provide support, capacity building and mentoring to ensure adequate GRC LG administrational procedures, policies (incl. HR policies, safeguarding, anti-bribery, anti-corruption) and systems (incl. financial management systems) are in place.
- Work with the Head of the Gola National Park (HGNP) and Gola Superintendents to ensure that all policies and procedures are adhered to, implemented, monitored and reported.Work with the HGNP and Gola Superintendent to ensure good implementation planning, financial planning and management are in place.
- Ensure with the GRC Head of Gola, Gola Superintendents and project partners that all Gola program activities in Sierra Leone are implemented according to timelines, agreed budgets, and standards of quality expected by both donors and the GRC Partners. Work with the HGNP and others to ensure rigorous monitoring of programme activities and outcomes.
- Collaboration with the Greater Gola Landscape Programme Manager and the other Programme Partners: design new program directions and/or activities for Gola and assist with the development of funding proposals.
- Line manage and oversee work programmes of RSPB staff
- Provide strategic advice to the GRC Senior Management Team, the GRC Directors and RSPB Technical Advisors for delivery of the Gola Rainforest Programme. Develop, maintain and strengthen key relationships with local and national stakeholders, including local communities, Society for Conservation of Sierra Leone, INGOs, International development partners and the GRC Board.
- To work closely and collaboratively with staff and partners in Sierra Leone and Liberia to work toward implementing a joint vision for a successful cross-border Greater Gola Landscape (Peace Park) Programme.
- Oversee the effective and efficient implementation of ongoing RSPB led projects/programmes within the country office portfolio, including good financial management, and adequate and timely reporting according to RSPB and donor specification.
- Regularly review and update risk assessment and evacuation planning and report to GRC Directors
- Joint chair of the GRC Senior Management Team and divide responsibilities and tasks amongst its members
Maintain good working relationships with all relevant stakeholders
- Assist the HGNP to prepare updates and presentations for the GRC Directors quarterly meetings
- Works with the RSPB Security Focal Point and provincial sub-office focal points to ensure preventative implementation of standard security operating procedures
- Work with project partners and RSPB headquarters staff to develop funding proposals and programmes to ensure the long-term sustainability of the programme
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Master’s Degree in conservation technical area, international development, or relevant field required.
Extensive overseas experience, preferably in West Africa.
- Capacity building in management strengthening
- Strong background in managing and directing field operations.
- Strong background in financial management
- Experience in program design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation and grant reporting.
- Understanding and proven application of REDD, Climate Change, Conservation, participatory approaches, partnership, and gender to development programmes.
- Strong interpersonal and team building
- Fluent in English
The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
Closing date: 23:59, 15 August 2021
To Apply and for More Information:
If you would like to apply and find out more about this position, please click the apply button to be directed to our website.
No agencies please.