OceanX Science, the research and technology pillar of OceanX, seeks an intern to help shape and execute the scientific objectives of OceanX for the summer 2022. Due to COVID-19 work safety guidelines, this internship may be remote for a portion or all of the internship term at employer’s discretion. This program will run from June through August. This is a full-time opportunity involving 40 hours per week. As an intern at OceanX, you will contribute to our mission by helping your pillar complete key projects and tasks. You will lead independent projects with the support of your team, in addition to shadowing and contributing to higher level initiatives that have a significant impact, while growing and gaining professional exposure.
OceanX is an entrepreneurial environment which values team players who can manage priorities and workstreams simultaneously. To thrive and succeed within our unique culture and work environment, you must demonstrate humility, innate curiosity, and openness to new ideas/approaches. You also must be hard working, composed and goal oriented. All employees are expected to be honest, excited about providing and receiving objective feedback, constantly striving for self-improvement, and committed to the pursuit of excellence.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research expedition locations, scientific topics of interest, and technology especially as they pertain to ongoing and upcoming expeditions for 2022 science and philanthropic collaborative goals
- Prepare memos and reports on different scenarios for expedition locations and activities, including potential partner institutions and individuals
- Assist the Science Program Research Analyst in documentation tracking, reporting, and collating mission-pertinent planning, and post-mission reporting.
- Create a post-mission analysis of data collected, samples acquired, and publication tracking to be submitted end-of-summer as part of post-mission reporting
- Professional Attributes
- Currently working toward a BSc in Marine Science, Marine Technology, Oceanography, or related field
- Strong research and writing skills, including ability to synthesize complex topics
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite products
- Determined, resourceful and practical. An independent, self-starter, with a “roll up your sleeves” attitude and strong work ethic
- Agility, with a track record of getting things done
- Organized, reliable, and meticulous
- Ability to prioritize, meet tight deadlines, anticipate needs, and maintain high quality work
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (Excellent proofreading, verbal, and written communication skills)
- Comfortable with ambiguity and ability to work in an ambiguous startup environment
- Maintains high standards
- General curiosity and passion for the Ocean
Compensation for the role consists of a $15/hour wage. This position is not eligible for health or financial benefits packages