Location: Curieuse, Seychelles
Employment Type: Short Term Contract
Minimum Experience: Entry-level
Start Date: ASAP
Length of contract: 6 months (with the possibility of extension)
About the role
In addition to its abundant marine life, Curieuse is also recognized for its unique flora such as the endemic Coco de Mer palm, famous for its large palm nuts. Also notable are some of the last remaining healthy mangrove systems within the inner islands, making this island a botanical gem.
As a GVI Program Officer on Curieuse Island in the Seychelles, you will be working on the Island Conservation Expedition science program. Some of the wildlife you will work with include Hawksbill sea turtles and lemon sharks and your responsibilities will range from collecting scientific data to training international volunteers in species identification and more. This role requires someone to live on the research base and will be well suited to someone who is passionate about science and capable of adapting to changing situations.
What you will do
- Take a leadership role in specific research projects and assist the Program Manager with reporting on research projects
- Assist with creating and organising data sheets for surveys as required
- Lead, organise and participate in fieldwork activities
- Play an active role within the daily schedule to ensure all activities are carried out as planned
- Training of new staff members in all aspects of the expedition
- Training of volunteers for all activities on base and in the field
- Assist with creating and maintaining training resources such as presentations, flashcards, posters, etc
- Assist in the maintenance and organisation of fieldwork equipment.
What you will need
- MSc/BSc in biological sciences or conservation
- Proficient in Microsoft Office & statistical analysis
These further qualifications would make you an ideal fit for the Program Officer position on Curieuse Island:
- Emergency First Response Instructor
- Experience of turtle and/or shark tagging
- Boat handling licence
What we offer
- Monthly salary
- Visa costs (if applicable)
- Emergency medical and travel insurance
In addition, GVI has the following perks:
- Training fund
- Social allowance
- Leadership development
- In-house counselling support
- Growth opportunities across our 17 locations!
GVI is an international multi-award-winning social enterprise on a mission to build a global network of people united by their passion to make a difference. We run programs in 13 countries worldwide aligned to the objectives of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
GVI is a platform for personal growth, and our staff have the ability to develop themselves across teams, departments, and even locations! We value passion, authenticity, entrepreneurship and innovation and treat all of our stakeholders with respect and compassion above everything else.
You can find out more about the types of work we do, and who we are as an organization here.
Please submit your CV and complete the short application form.
Please note: We will do our utmost to respond to all applicants, however, given the large volume of applications we receive, this isn’t always possible. If you do not hear back from us within three-four weeks, please take it that on this occasion your application was unsuccessful.