Sea Synergy is seeking caring, passionate, committed individuals to join our team in Waterville. In the role of Education & Activities Officer, individuals will assist in introducing clients of all ages to local flora, fauna, and marine heritage. A successful candidate will have the opportunity to share their passion for nature and conservation by connecting people with nature and instil in them a desire to protect it.
- Degree in a relevant subject (BA/BSc in biology, ecology, marine biology, or related field) or equivalent experience in conservation or a related field
- Demonstrable qualities and skills necessary to collaborate effectively and with people at all levels
- Be highly organised and self-reliant yet a good team player, responsive to the needs of colleagues
- Confident working in groups / previous experience in volunteer work
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Ability to work long hours outdoors in variable weather
- Computer skills
- Social media experience
- Field-based conservation experience
- Previous experience snorkeling or scuba diving certificate
- Previous experience or teaching/coaching certificate in kayak, SUP, or other water sports
- Previous experience in public speaking
- Previous experience working with children
- Previous experience in data handling
- Previous experience with aquaria
- Good understanding of marketing strategies and methods of social media marketing
- Life saving and Advanced First Aid skills
- Have own transport
The Education & Activities Officer will be required to undertake the following tasks:
- Assist scheduling for activities
- Lead activities
- Weekly team meeting
- Allocating tasks for interns
- Promotion of activities
- Aquarium care – feeding, maintenance and cleaning if necessary, daily recording of temp and water quality.
- Check gear for wear and tear
- Change aquarium water
- Reprint of any promotional materials required
- Check First aid kits and ensure all fully stocked and up to date
- Liability forms updated and printed
- Thorough check of all water sports and seashore gear – maintenance and repairs or replacements to be ordered
- Marketing for all upcoming events to be prepared
- Thorough check on all water sports gear and seashore equipment, all gear to be stored safely in the trailer
- Offer support or assist in organising local initiatives such as beach cleans/Clean Coasts, Tidy Towns, and Iveragh Learning Landscapes
Waterville, Co. Kerry, Ireland
Particulars and Salary
The payment of salary, travel and any other matters relating to the financial administration of the post will be the responsibility of Sea Synergy Ltd.
The Education & Activities Officer will report to Sea Synergy Ltd. founder Lucy Hunt and the Education & Activities Manager.
The salary scale for the position will be discussed with start rate dependent upon qualifications and experience. June-Sept with potential for extension.
Any work travel undertaken by the Education & Activities Manager will be paid at approved Sea Synergy Ltd. rates.
If this opportunity interests you, please send your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Education & Activities Officer Position 2021”. Applications submitted without a Cover Letter will not be accepted.
Deadline for applications is December 1, and interviews will be held in February.