Field Studies Council is one of the UK’s leading providers of outdoor environmental education. This is an exciting opportunity to join the Field Studies Council (FSC).
FSC Slapton is located within the South Devon area of Outstanding Natural Beauty close to field sites in Dartmoor National Park and urban centres in Plymouth and Torbay.
Our Seasonal Tutors will develop, plan and deliver ‘out-of-classroom learning’ activities and engage students to achieve our goal of ‘Bringing Environmental Understanding to All through first-hand experience’.
This is essentially an active role and will require the post-holder to teach students from KS2-KS5 as well as family/adult groups. Taught sessions predominantly include primary field studies, secondary geography/ecology investigations as well as bushcraft and adventure activities.
You will also be able to car ry out duties associated with effectively managing groups in an outdoor learning location, whilst ensuring the health and safety of the group at all times.
FSC Slapton, Nr Kingsbridge, Devon
37.5 hours per week/Annualised, Permanent
Our core season runs from March through to October annually.
With previous teaching / tutoring experience the successful candidate will be educated to degree level or equivalent in Science, Geography, Environmental Studies, Maths or a closely allied discipline. You will be experienced in producing and preparing teaching resources and who can use interactive whiteboards, GiS, presentation software and spreadsheets.
We ask that you have –
- A positive and passionate work attitude
- A desire to show pride in all aspects of your work
- A flexible approach with a willingness to adapt to changes
- An ability to work using your own initiative both independently and as a competent, effective team member
- An ability to work under pressure and prioritise work to meet tight deadlines
- Always treating others with courtesy, dignity and respect
- A commitment and contribution to improving FSC’s environmental performance
- A committed and proactive approach to personal development; motivated to learn new skills and overcome new challenges
The Field Studies Council follows a recruitment and selection process that is applied fairly, consistently, and without favour or prejudice, and which promotes a working environment in which diversity is recognised, valued and encouraged.
We want to create a world where everyone feels connected to the environment, so that they can enjoy the benefits it gives and makes choices that help protect it – especially now when our planet is facing issues such as climate change and loss o f biodiversity.
As an Investors in People charity, we realise that to achieve our vision we need diverse teams of staff who have a wide range of skills, a real passion for the work of the charity and a pride in their role within it. No matter what role you perform, everyone can make a difference and every role is vital to delivering our mission and vision…if this inspires you, we would love to hear from you.
- Holidays – pro-rata of 28 days including bank holidays (increases with length of service – up to 5 extra days)
- Sick Pay
- Employee Assistance programme
- Life Assurance
- Health Cash Plan
- Friendly Team
- Free parking
- FSC Workwear
- Training & Development
- Happy to talk flexible working!
Interviews to be arranged online accordingly. We reserve the right to close this vacancy when we are in receipt of sufficient applications.