“Working with young people to share our passion and knowledge to inspire our future scientists, environmentalists, conservationists, campaigners, teachers, global citizens…” FSC Tutor.
FSC wants to create a world where everyone feels connected to the environment so they can enjoy the benefits it gives and make choices that help protect it. We offer a range of field studies courses to visiting groups across our centres based all over the UK in stunning locations.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Tutor to lead and engage groups of all abilities, with previous knowledge and experience of teaching or tutoring in the great outdoors; t o educate about our amazing environment.
FSC Flatford Mill, Nr Colchester, Suffolk
Up to £21,197 per annum (pro-rata) plus benefits
With effect from 1 April 2022 the yearly rate will rise to up to £22,582 per annum (pro rata) plus benefits.
Working pattern: 37.5 hours per week during the core season only (normally March to October) each year.
We are looking for someone educated to degree level in Science, Geography, Environmental Studies, Maths or a closely allied discipline, also experienced in producing and preparing teaching resources and who can use interactive whiteboards, GiS, presentation software and spreadsheets.
Typically, our core season runs from March until October every year. Seasonal roles allow you to experience working life in our outstanding education centres throughout the core working season allowing you to follow other interests and pursuits over the winter months secure in the knowledge that you have a job to come back to.
Flatford Mill Field Centre is set amidst the English countryside of Dedham Vale in Suffolk and sits on the bank of the River Stour. You will be working on-site at this beautiful location with likeminded people who have a great team ethic.
Using your creative talents, you will:
- Develop and deliver out-of-classroom learning experiences to a wide-ranging audience of formal and informal educational groups
- Ensure that – where appropriate – programmes have relevance to the National Curriculum for England and Wales and Awarding Body Specifications
- Effectively integrate ICT into pre-planned activities (GIS, Excel, Smartboards and PowerPoints)
- Ensuring all resources (including shared resources) are prepared and available for the activity
- Producing plans for activities, identifying appropriate learning outcomes and liaising with accompanying staff to ensure programmes meet their requirements
- Identifying individual learning needs and planning and adapting courses to meet the needs of learners, and responding to the needs of the group by changing the pace and/or style of delivery as appropriate
Contributing fully to the development of new teaching activities, including taking a lead role within some areas and effectively sharing and communicating ideas within the teaching team.
For the full Job Description please see our vacancy pack.
To be successful in this role you should demonstrate:
- A positive and passionate work attitude
- A desire to show pride in all aspects of your work
- A flexible approach with a willingness to adapt to changes
- An ability to work using your own initiative both independently and as a competent, effective team member
- An ability to work under pressure and prioritise work to meet tight deadlines
- Always treating others with courtesy, dignity and respect
- A commitment and contribution to improving FSC’s environmental performance
- A committed and proactive approach to personal development; motivated to learn new skills and overcome new challenges
The Field Studies Council follows a recruitment and selection process that is applied fairly, consistently, and without favour or prejudice, and which promotes a working environment in which diversity is recognised, valued and encouraged.
If you are interested in joining an internationally respected organisation where there are brilliant opportunities for informal and formal self-development, training, and learning and where you will be sharing your passion, with colleagues, customers, and enthusing people of all ages about the natural world and helping to protect it we look forward to receiving your application!
As an Investors in People charity, we realise that to achieve our vision we need diverse teams of staff who have a wide range of skills, a real passion for the work of the charity and a pride in their role within it. No matter what role you perform, everyone can make a difference and every role is vital to delivering our mission and vision…if this inspires you, we would love to hear from you.
- Holidays – 28 days (pro-rata) inc bank holidays (increases with length of service – up to 5 extra days)
- Sick Pay
- Employee Assistance programme
- Life Assurance
- Health Cash Plan
- Friendly Team
- Free parking
- FSC Workwear
- Training & Development
- Happy to talk flexible working!
If you have any queries regarding this vacancy, please call Jo Harris on 01206 297110 or email email@example.com
Applications will be considered on arrival and Interviews to be arranged online accordingly.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy early if we’re in receipt of sufficient applications. Please apply early to avoid disappointment.
Interviews will be held as appropriate via Zoom or at a location to be confirmed
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted by email.