This listing has expired.
Salary: Competitive (depending on experience) plus attractive benefits
Location: The Old Ragged School, Brook Street, Nottingham, NG1 1EA
Duration: Full-time, permanent
We are looking for an experienced senior ecologist to join our busy, friendly and ambitious team in our office in Nottingham.
Established more than 25 years we have a reputation for technical excellence and quality service delivery. Working primarily across the midlands (although we do work with clients across the country and manage national contracts), our work covers the full range of ecological services, from small one-off surveys to major mitigation projects.
EMEC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust and the profits from our work are gifted each year to support the work of the charity. We also work with the Trust on their badger vaccination programme, often carry out surveys on their Nature Reserves and undertake habitat creation and management on their sites via our land management team.
Benefits of Working at EMEC
- We are a close-knit, friendly and supportive team, with a relaxed office atmosphere.
- The majority of our projects are within an hour of our office, and as such over-night stays are typically infrequent.
- We often work on nice sites, including Wildlife Trust reserves, long-term monitoring of an upland site, assessments of SSSIs, and barn conversions in countryside settings. We also work on standard development projects to pay the bills.
- Conservation is our core-value (being part of Wildlife Trust), and we look for biodiversity net-gain where ever possible, looking to our staff to lead on innovative solutions / habitat creation design.
- Ecologists are involved in all aspects of a project, from tendering, client liaison, surveying and reporting, and where required, long-term monitoring. This allows staff to see a project all the way through, from start to completion.
- As a company we support students from a range of universities, offering placements and in-house training. This allows us to support the next generation of ecologists, and helps ensure they start out on the right footing, with conservation at the heart of their work.
- We offer opportunities for staff development, with both external and internal training provided. We also encourage staff to take the lead on new services, with our land management team, arboriculture services and use of drones having all come from staff initiatives.
- To avoid staff being pigeon-holed, we encourage our ecologists to work across a range of projects, and also get involved with the on-site mitigation and habitat creation works undertaken by the land management team.
What we are Offering / Who we are Seeking
We are currently developing a new strategy to enable us to continue our growth and are looking for an experienced senior ecologist to join our team. They will work with the consultancy managers to help deliver the strategy and support the personal development of the rest of the team.
We are seeking an individual with the relevant level of consultancy experience and associated protected species licences to deliver a role which includes:
- Managing delivery and producing high quality reports
- Maintaining key client relationships
- Habitat and protected species surveys
- Managing mitigation projects and EPSL applications
- Supporting and offering guidance to junior staff with their projects – including line management of staff
- The preparation of fee quotes and tenders
The ideal candidate should have the following:
- Experience in a senior ecologist role in a consultancy setting
- Substantial project management experience
- Protected species survey licences, and ideally having held EPS development licence in their name
- Full driving licence (although own car is not required, as a fleet of pool cars is provided for surveys)
We offer a benefits package similar to those of organisations many times our size (25 days leave, plus public holidays and additional discretionary days, contributory pension, health payment plan, payment of professional membership fees) and because we recognise the commitment required in terms of anti-social hours and occasional work away from the office, we place an emphasis on flexible working and work/life balance. We run a TOIL/overtime system which is tailored to support our staff’s requirements.
If you want to join our team and help the delivery our growth strategy, have the relevant experience, and want to work for a consultancy that delivers the best and leaves a legacy, then send your CV and covering letter to [email protected]. The closing date for applications is 12pm Sunday 16th June 2019.
If you have any questions that are not answered in the supporting information please contact Rob Fitzsimons, Operations & Business Development Manager on 0115 958 8242.