If you’re an Ornithologist or Ecologist, with experience in managing your own projects and are interesting in working within an integrated environmental consultancy team then please read on. We have an exciting opportunity to join our team in Perth or Glasgow and we’ll make sure you get the opportunities you need to take your career as far as you want it to go.
Overview of Role:
The role of Senior Ecologist is a responsible position within Gavia Environmental Ltd, directly reportable to the Ecological Team Lead. The role may require attendance at sites and meetings throughout Scotland although work may also be undertaken on occasion in England/Wales and Ireland. The typical scope of work for a Senior Ecologist would include:
- Plan, coordinate and undertake a diverse array of ecological surveys e.g. Phase 1 Habitat Surveys, UK Hab Surveys, Botanical Surveys e.g. NVC, and a range of protected species surveys, including bat surveys ranging from single dwelling developments to large scale windfarm projects using 20+ Anabat Swifts.
- Preparation of ecological reports including: Preliminary Ecological Appraisals, Ecology Chapters for Environmental Impact Assessment Reports, Species Protection Plans and Site Management Plans.
- Providing supervision (where required) of junior ecologists/those learning new technical specialisms.
- Assistance in the preparation and submission of tender documents and fee proposals.
- Liaising with clients, professional advisors, contractors and general public.
- Act as Project Manager for the day to day running of jobs which lie within your area of expertise.
- Responsible for the design and management of site-specific ecology survey strategies.
General Office and Personnel Procedures:
- Compliance with the Gavia Integrated Management System (IMS).
- Attend CPD courses and be responsible for your own personal development.
- Keeping the office, survey equipment and company vehicles in clean working order.
- At least three years’ relevant experience in the environmental sector;
- Degree or post-graduate degree (or equivalent) in ornithology, ecology or related field;
- An in-depth knowledge of ecology legislation, survey techniques and an enthusiasm for keeping up to date with best practice guidelines;
- Experience in writing technical proposals, reports and ES chapters;
- Membership of CIEEM (or to have eligibility if not currently held); and
- A full UK driver’s licence valid with no more than three penalty points.
- Protected species licence and experience of preparing successful mitigation licences;
- Analytical/field skills in bats (licenced bat worker).
- Knowledge and experience of GIS;
- CSCS card holder; and
- Outdoor First Aid holder
We offer internal training and support whilst you develop into your role, an attractive salary between £28K -£32K, and contributory pension scheme§, cycle to work initiative§, health care plan§, 25 days holiday (plus holiday purchase plan) and a professional development scheme to allow for advancement of career within the company; as well as a positive working environment for like-minded environmental professionals.
Phase 1: If successful, initially you will be invited for a telephone interview to discuss your experience with the Ecology Team Lead and Gavia Directors.
Phase 2: If successful in Phase 1, we would invite you to an interview at Gavia offices in Perth, where we would conduct a competency-based interview and show you around our premises and answer any detailed questions you may have.
Application Details and Deadline: 30th November 2019
Please submit your CV to [email protected] with the heading ‘Senior Ecologist job vacancy’.
§ applicable after 3 month probation period