Are you a Senior Ecologist looking for flexibility to balance site work with your home life? Or an experienced Consultant Ecologist ambitious to make a step up with the support of a diverse network of ecology experts and underpinned by a defined career pathway?
Who is Tetra Tech?
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of high-end consulting and engineering services for projects worldwide. We combine the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in more than 400 locations around the world. We are Leading with Science® to provide sustainable and resilient solutions for our clients.
Our people are at the heart of everything we do. They help our clients succeed, our business prosper and the communities we work in thrive. We need the very best designers, project managers, engineers, surveyors, town planners, environmental specialists and business service professionals to maintain our reputation as a market leader. We do this by taking care of our people; offering fantastic flexible benefits, providing personal and professional development, and giving employees the opportunity to work on exciting and ground-breaking projects.
We don’t want Tetra Tech to be just your next role, we want it to be a step-change in your career and ultimately a move that you are proud to have made.
As Tetra Tech builds on its demonstrable track record as one of the leading global Environmental consultancies, we are seeking a talented Senior Ecologist to join our south-east team. With ambitions to grow our UK presence to emulate the success of the global business, we are looking for an experienced ecologist to join our established network of over 50 ecologists with the energy to contribute to a diverse project portfolio.
As a multidisciplinary consultancy, we work closely with colleagues from other teams including Planning, Placemaking, Engineering, Transportation and Asset Management including through the identification of opportunities, tendering and project delivery. The Senior Ecologist will be proactive in developing relationships with colleagues from across the business, liaising with other teams on a regular basis and supporting them through all stages of a project.
We pride ourselves on our ability to offer professional ecology advice across a breadth of sectors including Residential, Defence, Energy, Government Services and Transport. We can draw on the knowledge of Sector leads and experienced technical consultants from across Tetra Tech, as well as the support of our wider ecology team, to develop the best solutions. Examples of projects we currently work on in the south-east include:
• Surveys, licence applications and mitigation works for five species of bats, including hibernation and maternity roosts, at a private Estate in Surrey;
• GCN and water vole mitigation works at an MOD firing range in Essex;
• Ecology chapter, HRA and biodiversity net gain assessment for a new garden village in Hertfordshire.
• A dormouse licence application for a small residential development in Sussex; and
• Ecology surveys and management plans for SANGs (Suitable Alternative Natural Greenspace) to mitigate adverse impacts on the Thames Basin Heaths SPA.
Given the variety of projects we work on, we are looking for a Senior Ecologist who has strong field skills and who can confidently adapt their technical knowledge to specific client and project requirements, including liaison with stakeholders. With support from the regional and wider national teams, and in line with our defined career framework, they will develop their expertise across many areas of ecology although they will also be able to choose to develop skills in a particular technical specialism. Of specific relevance to the South-East team would be EcIA, HRA, Biodiversity Net Gain or European Protected Species expertise, especially bats.
Projects will predominately be focused in the south-east region including into East Anglia. However, we operate fully flexible, hybrid working which allows our ecologists to choose where, how and when they work as long as our clients are receiving the high-quality service they expect. We focus on talent and skills, not postcode. The role will require site work as well as working closely with the regional team and developing relationships with clients and colleagues from other teams so may require some time at an office or alternative working space to suit those involved.
We are very happy to discuss flexible working for this role, including the possibility of reduced or compressed hours and flexible start or finish times. We can offer a range of solutions to help you get the most out of your work / life balance. If the timing’s not quite right for you, please do still get in touch as we will always consider deferring the start date for the right candidate.
About the team
- Over 50 permanent ecologists across 13 offices working as one cohesive team.
- Time away from home minimised.
- IT systems allow seamless remote and flexible working, so proximity to an office is not a barrier– we focus on talents & skills, not the postcode. Our ecologists can work on the projects that interest them and deliver them to the highest standards.
- Cars or car allowances to every member of the team regardless of grade, including for personal use.
- Established TOIL system to allow time management to suit specific personal needs alongside seasonal demands.
- Career frameworks provide clarity on how to progress.
- We encourage the development of well-rounded ecologists who can talk about all stages of a project. We offer internal and external training and mentoring, including from our in-house experts.
- Bat handling licence incentivisation scheme to thank ecologists who spend time and effort in achieving their licence – we know it’s not easy!
- And to show our support of personal development, we award a significant financial bonus to anyone achieving Chartered Environmentalist/Ecologist status through CIEEM.
- We work closely with many other teams, including our own Planners, Archaeologists, Landscape Architects, Masterplanners and Engineers. With a culture of openness, there is always someone within the business who can provide advice and support for almost any query.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of high-end consulting and engineering services for projects worldwide. We combine the resources of a global, multibillion-dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in more than 400 locations around the world. We are Leading with Science® to provide sustainable and resilient solutions for our clients.
At Tetra Tech, we provide a collaborative environment that supports individual performance, innovation, and creativity. We are proud to offer competitive compensation and benefits. Learn more by visiting www.tetratecheurope.com/careers
For more information on our company, please visit our website at www.tetratecheurope.com. To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter on the Careers section of our website.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Tetra Tech is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Tetra Tech is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, or parental leave.