Abbas Ecology Ltd needs a keen and motivated individual to join our growing business in 2023. The post will be permanent, following completion of a successful trial period. Work is across Southern counties but with a bias towards Dorset. Dorset is a wonderful place to live and work and has species and habitats that are almost unknown elsewhere.
The postholder will take part in a varied work programme delivering support for a wide range of clients across the region.
We are looking for applicants who have:
- At least five years’ experience working as an ecologist or similar role (includes voluntary). Candidates will be required to have a relevant degree or suitable experience.
- Excellent communications skills developed through contact with a range of organisations. Frequent client contact and development is standard.
- Experience of quoting for jobs and use of account software such as Xero to aid quoting and project management.
- Detailed level of knowledge of all aspects of ecological consultancy work and its application. Experience in managing and conducting field work for large, complex projects and line management, along with a full driving licence are essential.
- Hold numerous protected species licences or demonstratable experience within their area of expertise.
- An understanding of BNG and the ability to work with landscape architects to ensure requirements are included into master planning.
- Capable of writing reports to CIEEM standard for all sizes of project. A good understanding of this is required, the applicant must be able to review reports of less experienced members of the Abbas team.
- Detailed experience in EPS licensing, both in their design and implementation.
- Experience of conducting complex Ecological Impact Assessment (EcIA) and some knowledge of CEMPs, LEMPs plus HRA reports. Our region has various planning constraints relating to protected species and sites.
- Experience of organising a team of ecologists to deliver a programme of work required for ECoW. To achieve this an understanding of organising overlapping site supervision requirements and preparation of species licenses is essential.
Good liaison skills with clients and relevant organisations is essential. Use of own car is vital, carbon for journeys is off set through membership of the Ecologi business scheme. The applicant will be expected to be a member/become a member of the Charted Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM). Abbas Ecology will fund membership for the duration of the contract and CPD will be supported. There is a training budget associated with this post for formal courses. However, we believe that training is a continuous process with training also delivered in-house through regular staff meetings, we also draw on the expertise of local experts and maintain contact with local wildlife charities delivering a two-way training programme.
The job offers 5 weeks paid holiday per annum. Extra hours worked in the peak season can be taken as time off in lieu during quieter periods. You will be enrolled in the UK government’s NEST pension scheme. Staff benefit from a company profit sharing scheme on top of salary.
Abbas Ecology has been growing since 2012 but remains a small, intimate consultancy. We work on a wide range of schemes including monitoring underground mine shafts, introducing biodiverse habitats to solar farms, and supporting clients deliver mitigation for substantial housing developments. You will benefit from flexible hours and home working, we provide you with a laptop, phone, and other basic office equipment. We are a friendly group who maintain daily contact. We have utilised Microsoft Teams and other cloud-based systems for several years so are ahead of the curve for supporting working from home. Working in our region offers the opportunity to work with a diverse range of habitats and species including national parks, statutory protected areas, coast, brownfield, urban and farmland.
To apply, please contact email@example.com for an application form or call 01305 889855 for any queries.