This listing has expired.
Amazon Conservation’s mission is to unite science, innovation and community to protect the western Amazon—the greatest wild forest on Earth.
As conservation pioneers since 1999, we have used science to guide our multi-pronged approach to environmental conservation and restoration in the western Amazon. Our founding program provided support for Brazil nut harvesters in Peru, as an incentive for protecting the forest. Since then, the organization has grown to protect over 4 million acres of rainforest, establish Peru’s first conservation concession, host thousands of scientists and tourists at our three premier research stations, empower indigenous communities to develop forest-friendly livelihoods, and so much more. Our on-the-ground efforts are geographically focused in the headwaters of the Amazon basin, where the Amazon forest meets the Andes mountain range in southeastern Peru and northern Bolivia.
For more information, please visit www.amazonconservation.org .
Amazon Conservation is looking for a Senior Grant Writer & Manager to lead grant writing, support grant management for key grants, and help manage funder relationships with both foundation and public funderes from its Washington, DC office. The position reports to the Executive Director and coordinates closely with staff in Peru and Bolivia as well as with DC staff.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced grant writer to build and mold the grants program within the organization, and help Amazon Conservation carry out our new strategy that will help us grow and achieve greater impact at scale in the Western Amazon.
The successful candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred), at least 7 year s of relevant work experience, and excellent oral, written, and organizational skills. Fluency in Spanish is also required.
Grant writing and development
- Manage all alliance-level grants coordination and take the lead role in developing and writing funding proposals (researching, writing, editing, proofreading and developing budgets) in close coordination with local and international staff.
- Work with senior leadership to evaluate new funding opportunities, guide the alliance’s grant fundraising strategy, and manage the organization’s funder pipeline.
- Scope out new funding sources and create and maintain strong relationships with Amazon Conservation’s key funders.
- Provide excellent grant monitoring and reporting of project advances, timetable, budgets, and deliverables for a portfolio of grants by working closely with DC, Peru and Bolivia staff to ensure we meet funder reporting requirements and Amazon Conservation’s quality standards.
- Support effective internal communication with our sister organizations Conservación Amazónica – ACCA (in Peru) and Conservación Amazónica – ACEAA (in Bolivia) and ensure solid coordination with all relevant staff.
- Support the planning and material development for funder field visits when applicable.
Other related responsibilities
- Contribute to writing and editing information about program work and achievements in annual reports, newsletters, and other publications.
- Work in collaboration with the communications team to provide information on program impact to donors and other supporters.
- Support preparation and content development for meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Recruit and manage staff.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in grant writing preferably for conservation projects/programs.
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in English, Journalism, Communications, Marketing or other related field.
- Professional knowledge of conservation, environmental science and management, international development or related fields required, with experience in the Amazon preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of fundraising information sources, contact development and donor relations.
- Excellent written and verbal communications.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to perform well in cross-cultural team environment.
- Detail oriented, adaptable, organized and demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple projects and tasks.
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently with purpose and accuracy in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Professional proficiency in written and spoken Spanish.
Travel: up to 20% of time
Amazon Conservation offers a competitive salary and an outstanding benefits package. EOE
Email your resume, cover letter and a list of 3 references to
[email protected] with the subject line: Senior Grant Writer & Manager application. Applications without all required materials will not be reviewed. No Phone calls, please.
Applications accepted through September 16, 2019 .