Thomson environmental consultants: The independent, employee-owned consultancy, chosen by successful clients, admired by competitors, and the place to work preferred by top specialists.
With offices across the UK, our experts are committed to delivering our clients exceptional outcomes across a range of environmental services and ecological contracting.
We aim to be the most innovative, pragmatic and fast-growing environmental consultancy in the UK.
Our services include but are not limited to: terrestrial ecology, freshwater ecology, marine ecology, habitat management, arboricultural services, geospatial and data management, environmental impact assessments.
Our people make us who we are; we are commercial but not corporate, guided by our values of Respect, Integrity, Support and Excellence. Career growth and development is highly valued at Thomson, and we nurture talent, leading to rapid career progression opportunities. Our people benefit from access to a diverse range of industry-accredited external trainings, as well as in-house training opportunities led by our specialists. The variety of projects we deliver across the breadth of environmental services encourages cross-team working and collaboration.
Thomson is an Employee Owned Trust (EOT). This means that our collective efforts generate results that translate into greater rewards for everyone. You’ll enjoy all the benefits we have to offer, including EOT-approved bonuses (after a qualifying period), the opportunity to contribute to and lead on high-profile, unique projects, 25 days of annual leave, flexible/hybrid working, and regular social events.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Ecologist working at Senior or Principal level to join our Cardiff Ecology team. This will be a varied and challenging role, and you’ll enjoy regular opportunities for professional development and advancement. Your input will be integral to the continued growth of the Cardiff office, and the successful delivery of our diverse range of projects
Suitable candidates will have strong commercial project management skills, and will also be technically competent, with an in-depth knowledge of ecology, legislation, and survey techniques. Outputs are expected to be high quality, on time and within budget. As with all consultancy work, you will need to be a professional with the ability to communicate effectively and to maintain positive client relationships.
You’ll need to:
- have relevant and proven experience in a similar role, within a commercial ecological consultancy
- have a degree or postgraduate degree (or equivalent) in an ecological or related subject
- be technically competent, with an in-depth knowledge of ecology, legislation, and survey techniques
- have advanced field skills in one or more specialist areas as well as holding a protected species licence(s)
- be organised with experience of managing projects
- be financially adept with the ability to manage budgets
- have excellent written communication skills and be able to produce meticulous and accurate technical reports, for example EPSL applications, EcIA chapters and habitat regulation assessments
- have a full UK driving licence and use of a car
Ideally, you’ll also:
- have a proven work winning track record, experience of preparing bids and tenders and generating new business opportunities.
- have full membership of CIEEM (or to have eligibility if not currently held)
- have experience of leading and motivating a team of both site and office-based staff