Location: Tenerife, Spain
Type of role: Full-Time
Start date: ASAP
About the role
You will work on the marine science conservation project and will be based full time on GVI’s base of operations. You will be working very closely with the Program Manager managing the hub and will also be responsible for our internship program. You will be monitoring the progress of all interns and will be providing support as a mentor.
Tenerife is the largest of Spain’s Canary Islands. The capital of the island, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, approximately five million tourists visit Tenerife each year; it is the most visited island in the archipelago. Teide National Park, located in the center of the island, is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Teide is the third-largest volcano in the world, when measured from its base.
What you will do
- Work alongside staff team to manage a group of 20+ volunteers, ensuring that as a GVI staff member you are approachable and available to the group
- Help to manage daily logistics, administration, and operational tasks, and overseeing the completion of assigned tasks and deliverable
- Provide training, briefings and career development courses when needed to enable volunteers to have positive impacts on project
- Conduct mentor meetings bi-weekly
- Schedule internship activities and training
- Ensure strict H&S standards are met by staff and volunteers and provide basic first aid advice
- Help ensure volunteers have a positive experience, identify and issues and work towards solutions
- Manage base resupply, ensuring there is adequate food & supplies for base at the best possible price
- Manage GVI Tenerife social media platforms (e.g Facebook, Instagram) and Alumni Program with input from staff and volunteers
- Assist team to meet GVI fundraising objectives and overall charitable trust
- Assist in basic accounting, reviewing and updating presentations and documents
- Support the PM to deliver reports and information as required by GVI
What you will need
- Ability to lead by example, good interpersonal skills, strong initiative & positive proactive work ethic
- Proven experience and competence in administration and logistics
- Experience or background in internship coordination and outreach or a similar field
- Past volunteer or volunteer management work experience
- Conservation knowledge and research experience
- Participation in expedition and volunteer style work experience, and volunteer work
- Construction and/or relevant project management/planning background
- Past experience with research and marine conservation
- Past experience working in remote locations.
- Past experience working closely with local communities.
GVI is an international multi-award-winning social enterprise on a mission to build a global network of people united by their passion to make a difference. We run programs in 13 countries worldwide aligned to the objectives of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
GVI is a platform for personal growth, and our staff have the ability to develop themselves across teams, departments, and even locations! We value passion, authenticity, entrepreneurship and innovation and treat all of our stakeholders with respect and compassion above everything else.
You can find out more about the types of work we do, and who we are as an organization here.
Please submit your CV and complete the short application form.
We will do our utmost to respond to all applicants, however, given the large volume of applications we receive, this isn’t always possible. If you do not hear back from us within three-four weeks, please take it that on this occasion your application was unsuccessful.