This listing has expired.
Imagine a job where you can use your environmental knowledge every day, helping to shape the minds of the new generation; a job where you work as part of a team in the great outdoors, inspiring others and developing passions for the future. Teaching with FSC gives you a role with both challenge and opportunity, and a chance to start young people on a journey of discovery that can last a lifetime. FSC are looking for people with a curiosity for the world around us, a passion for the natural history of the British Isles and an ability to enthuse and inspire others.
Job Title: Senior Tutor
Grade: Team Leader
Based at: FSC Margam Discovery Centre, Port Talbot
Reports to: Education Team Leader as part of the Education Team
This post holds line management responsibility for junior Education team members
OVERALL JOB PURPOSE
The Senior Tutor will develop, plan and deliver ‘out-of-classroom learning’ activities to a wide ranging audience; engaging and enthusing students to assist FSC achieve their goal of ‘Inspiring Environmental Understanding through first-hand experience’. The post holder will be expected to lead groups of all abilities in the natural environment with the ability to provide an appropriate standard of care for our learners, and also make a wide-ranging contribution to the work of this busy learning location in a leadership role.
This is essentially an active role and will require the post-holder to be able to carry out duties associated with effectively managing groups in outdoor learning locations, which may be remote, whilst ensuring the health and safety of the group at all times, including carrying safety sacks.
- Working under the direction of the Education Team Leader to provide team management as appropriate, including weekly and monthly forward planning, and leading daily briefings and team meetings
- Carrying out direct line management of some junior members of the education team (e.g. Education Support Assistants, HE Students Placements, Trainee Tutors) and Volunteers, including carrying out personal development reviews in line with FSC procedures
- Organising and carrying out induction, coaching, competency sign-off and providing support and guidance for team members as appropriate
- Providing effective leadership in relation to all or some of the following areas:
- Health & Safety;
- Systems & procedures;
- Physical Resources
- Science or Geography Teaching
- Deputising for the Education Team Leader in their absence
- Delivering activities in a safe, effective and engaging manner, responding to the needs of the group by changing the pace and style of delivery as appropriate
- Setting a high standard of customer service – meeting and greeting visiting staff, welcome talks, etc and ensuring that these are delivered effectively
- Demonstrating teaching excellence in their own course delivery and setting benchmark standards for the team in teaching and learning styles and strategies – acting as a mentor to other team members
- Ensuring that – where appropriate – programmes have relevance to the National Curriculum for England and Wales and awarding body Specifications
- Liaising with accompanying staff to ensure programmes meet their requirements
- Effectively integrating ICT into pre-planned activities
- Incorporating opportunities for the development of key skills within ‘out-of-classroom’ activities
- You may be required to travel and work at other nearby locations in the WEST Region/Group.
Resource & Project Development
- Ensuring all resources are prepared and available for activities, producing plans for activities and identifying appropriate learning outcomes
- Working under the direction of the Education Team Leader to develop resources to support out-of-classroom learning experiences to a wide-ranging audience of formal and informal educational groups including:
- Specification-led programmes at Key-stage 4 and A/AS level in biology and geography (and related subjects)
- Key-stage 2 and 3 cross-curricular environmental programmes
- Informal leisure-learning programmes for adult and family groups
- Supporting other courses, e.g. university groups, PGCE, etc
- Supporting the Education Team Leader in the administration, support & maintenance of resources, lesson plans and schemes of work for the education team
- Managing resource expenditure as delegated
- Complying with all relevant legislation / FSC Operating Codes of Practice (OCoPs) / FSC Health and Safety Handbook and FSC procedures
- Taking an active role in the learning location’s evening and residential duty system – this will involve staying on site on some evenings and overnight to deal with customer issues and respond to emergencies. As a key member of the senior on-call team you will also provide support for other duty staff
- Delivering a high standard of customer service and customer care
- Ensuring the highest standards of quality are achieved in all duties carried out
- Working closely with other staff to ensure that appropriate levels of service are maintained during absences and periods of high workload
- Maintaining professional standards at all times in accordance with FSC policies
- Fulfilling your obligations under FSC’s Behaviour Partnership to ensure a happy, productive working environment
- Attending staff meetings as well as FSC internal and external training as required, in order to share best practice and improve team and learning location performance, and participating fully in staff development activities (sometimes this may involve travel to other learning locations with the occasional overnight stay)
- Driving: We have a number of vehicles which you will be asked to drive. To do so, you will need to be 21 years or over, have a full valid driving licence, to have been driving for at least two years, and undertake an internal assessment on commencement in the role
Subject to meeting certain criteria, you will also be required to drive our minibuses. If you do not hold D1 entitlement and have the appropriate driving experience/certification, you will be required to undertake the relevant training upon commencement of the role
- Undertaking any other duties that may reasonably be required to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the learning location
The expectations of every employee that we regard as essential include:
- A positive and passionate work attitude
- A desire to show pride in all aspects of their work
- A flexible approach with a willingness to adapt to changes
- An ability to work using your own initiative both independently and as a competent, effective team member
- An ability to work under pressure and prioritise work to meet tight deadlines
- Always treating others with courtesy, dignity and respect
- A commitment and contribution to improving FSC’s environmental performance
- A committed and proactive approach to personal development; motivated to learn new skills and overcome new challenges
This job description should be seen as enabling rather than restrictive, and will be subject to regular review.
HOW TO APPLY
For all recruitment information and relevant application forms please go to our vacancies web page at: www.field-studies-council.org/vacancies
To apply for this position please download and complete in full the EDUCATION application form. You must ensure that your application includes examples of how you have demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in meeting the requirements of the post detailed in both the job description and person specification.
Send your completed application form to: [email protected] OR
Human Resources, FSC Head Office, Preston Montford, Montford Bridge, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY4 1HW
Please note we do not accept CV’s without a completed application form.
The closing date for receipt of your completed application is 12 noon on Wednesday 23rd October 2019
Interviews are scheduled to take place at FSC Margam on Tuesday 29th October 2019
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted by telephone or email.
If you have any queries regarding this vacancy please call Jane Richmond on 01639 895636 We look forward to receiving your application in due course.