This listing has expired.
A flexible programme of part-time, tutored, online modules that can build towards the Postgraduate Certificate in Ecological Survey Techniques.
You can also take courses separately and use the academic credit elsewhere, or simply for professional training in field survey techniques.
Postgraduate Certificate in Ecological Survey Techniques (September 2019)
A one year course which provides the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to conduct effective ecological field surveys for a range of key taxa and to analyse field survey data with confidence.
The individual modules or short courses are all tutor-led, part-time and last 5 weeks (unless stated):
- Field Techniques for Surveying Mammals & Reptiles(09 January – 13 February 2019)
This course equips you with the skills, techniques and know-how necessary to undertake surveys of mammal and reptile populations or individuals with confidence
- Field Techniques for Surveying Birds(06 February – 13 March 2019)
Detailed training in passive and non-passive bird surveying techniques.
- Data Analysis in Ecology: Statistics for Ecologists and Field Biologists – Ten weeks(20 February – 01 May 2019)
A thorough introduction to the key statistical principles and methods used by ecologists and field biologists
- Field Techniques for Surveying Fish & Amphibians(20 March – 24 April 2017)
In-depth training in fish and amphibian surveying and sampling from initial considerations through to methods and techniques, sampling strategies and reporting
- Field Techniques for Surveying Invertebrates(01 May – 05 June 2019)
Expert-led training in invertebrate surveying techniques from planning and preparations through to sampling strategies, surveying methods and reporting
- Field Techniques for Surveying Vegetation(September 2019)
This course provides you with essential knowledge and skills to conduct effective vegetation surveys
Who would most benefit from them?
These courses are ideal for anyone seeking flexible study combined with expert training including:
- Professional ecological consultants
- Environmental managers and rangers
- Researchers and postgraduate students
- Conservation volunteers or those wishing to change career into ecology or conservation
The online courses are international in their use of case studies and examples.
Find out more:
About The University of Oxford
We offer part-time, flexible courses and programmes for adult learners
There are over 1000 classes and programmes on offer per year. All but a very few of them are designed for adults who prefer to study part-time.