The Social & Digital Media Officer creates compelling, dynamic content for the organization’s social media channels, as well as monitor and decipher metrics to build a path forward for a broader digital marketing program. Builds relationships with our internal and external stakeholders to support lead generation, increase brand awareness and engagement, and foster meaningful impact across the organization’s social media channels.
Remote candidates are encouraged to apply. The position can be permanently remote or can work some days from our Warrenton, Virginia office.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Social & Digital Media Officer is responsible or the following primary job duties and responsibilities:
- Plan and execute social media posts and campaigns using Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and TikTok. This includes planning, writing and making creatives for social media posts.
- Assists Director of Marketing with campaign and social media strategies.
- Manage social media management platforms such as Later or other scheduling tools to schedule social media posts and using analytic tools such as Facebook Analytics to monitor and improve social media performance and meet fundraising goals.
- Supports Corporate Giving to promote sponsors on social media as well as working with appropriate staff members to determine messaging for social media campaigns.
- Maintain content calendar to include, key dates (ex. Earth Day, Giving Tuesday), world days (ex. World Gorilla Day, Endangered Species Day), specific campaigns and goals, and day-to-day content.
- Executes stakeholder and donor engagement as needed through social media, monitor, report, and appropriately respond to online reviews, comments, mentions and social media postings.
- Monitoring Rainforest Trust UK Facebook and Twitter pages, including monitoring social media channels for celebrities mentioning the organization, responding to messages from influencers, planning Instagram Takeovers with influencers, sharing posts made by influencers as well as other tasks.
- Growing social media reach/impressions/engagement and staying on top of trending topics and monitor affiliate and competitive social media landscape. Tracking Twitter trends, news, and other platforms for breaking news (ex. fires in the Amazon) to meet organizational awareness and fundraising goals.
- Work closely with Director of Marketing to utilize social media channels to meet organizational awareness and fundraising goals. Furthermore, this position works with other departments to coordinate external messaging for campaigns.
- Work with PR team as a liaison to help coordinate press releases/news articles and ensure news releases are posted on social media. Organize and keep track of current PR endeavors and action items.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
The minimum level of skills, knowledge and abilities required to competently perform the job duties include:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations or related field and 3-5 years’ experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience with proven results.
- Knowledge of social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, TikTok etc.) with deep understanding of social media trends and capabilities.
- Demonstrates ability to create content for social media channels to meet organizational needs and fundraising goals.
- Strong attention to detail, with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously: organizing and prioritizing work, adhering to deadlines and timelines, and adapting quickly to changing schedules in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong knowledge of grammar and AP style.
- Ability to think creatively and write for different audiences.
- Strong motivation and curiosity to learn and understand new concepts and markets.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal; working and presenting with internal teams as well in client facing presentations.
- Highly motivated and able to thrive in a constantly changing environment and execute in a timely fashion.
- Consistently demonstrates professionalism, a positive and approachable demeanor/attitude.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Additional duties and/or responsibilities may be required. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Since 1988, Rainforest Trust has been safeguarding imperiled tropical habitats and saving endangered species by establishing protected areas in partnership with local organizations and communities. With our partners, we have protected more than 37 million acres of vital habitat across Latin America, Africa, Asia and the Pacific. Rainforest Trust is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that relies upon the generous support of the public to successfully implement our important conservation action.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Rainforest Trust is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the principles of diversity. Our organization recruits, hires, trains, and promotes individuals, as well as administers any and all personnel actions, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, personal appearance, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Working Conditions and Travel Requirements
The Social Media Officer may choose to work from home, at our office in Warrenton, VA or mix the two. Home work requires reliable internet access. Occasional visits to our office will be required, necessitating business travel.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by a teammate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The person in this position frequently communicates with colleagues both verbally and in writing and must be able to exchange accurate, neat and thorough information.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position at a computer terminal for an extended period and ability to operate a computer and telephone keyboard.
- When working within the organization’s office, the person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
How to Apply:
Please submit a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com
Rainforest Trust is an environmental conservation organization that creates solutions to protect the Earth and improve people’s lives. The policy of Rainforest Trust is to provide equal opportunity and access to employment and service. Rainforest Trust shall not discriminate against an individual based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion or creed, national origin, age, citizenship, sex, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, political affiliation or ideology, gender identity, protected veteran status, or disability. All Rainforest Trust recruitment, employment, promotion, advancement and similar decisions related to employment shall be made based on job-related criteria and applicable laws (including non-discrimination and government security requirements). Rainforest Trust’s global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the creativity and applicability of Rainforest Trust’s research and project implementation.