Founded in 1999, Mongabay is an award-winning environmental science and conservation news organization, which publishes original news on a daily basis in an objective (does not advocate), accurate (relies on facts and scientific information) and timely manner to a global audience of conservation scientists, private-sector decision-makers, government policymakers, civil society organizations, journalists in other media outlets, and interested members of the public. Mongabay’s readership across its news sites average roughly eight million unique visitors each month, which positions the organization as one of the top sources of environmental news, analysis, information, and inspiration on the Internet.
In January 2018, Mongabay-India was launched to reach an Indian audience with information about the state of India’s environment. Mongabay-India is a conservation and environment news and features service that aims to bring high quality, original reports from nature’s frontline in India. As the India-specific portal of the global news platform mongabay.com, this website follows the format of Mongabay’s dedicated Indonesia and Latin America news outlets.
Mongabay-India’s primary topics of news coverage are India’s energy transitions, climate, forests and water, all reported from a mainstream biodiversity perspective. With a goal to examine India’s development through the prism of environment and conservation, Mongabay-India organizes special reporting projects to dive deep into specific themes.
WHAT DOES THE SOCIAL MEDIA COORDINATOR DO?
Working in collaboration with the Mongabay-India (MI) team, the social media coordinator will work toward developing MI’s social media visibility and brand recall, starting with strategies of communicating MI content through different channels and executing the strategies in a capable manner.
This is a junior level position and will provide an opportunity to communicate environmental concepts to a wide audience. The person should have a keen sense of the social media ecosystem, have a basic understanding of India’s environmental issues and the ability to discern what stories are important and of interest to MI’s social media audience.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGEMENT (60% of time)
- Planning, editing and scheduling social media content for Mongabay-India in a timely manner across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Telegram, YouTube, LinkedIn and any other social-media platforms;
- Ensure regular posting across platforms and increasing number of daily posts;
- Being able to make simple social media creatives with tools such as Canva, and work in tandem with the multimedia team to develop content for Mongabay’s social-media channels;
- Preparing social media posts for dates and events relevant to Mongabay’s theme areas;
- Packaging and replugging older stories via posts and threads, timing them with appropriate news developments and conversations on social media;
- Leading campaigns to expand Mongabay-India’s outreach and subscription base, using current content on the India site, sister Mongabay sites and archives;
- Working with the editorial team to understand Mongabay’s reporting priorities and modify social strategies accordingly;
- Analyse audiences across platforms regularly to evaluate social media strategies and rework as needed;
- Problem solving with help desks of social media platforms;
- Basic knowledge of paid social media advertising: Facebook, Google Ads, Youtube, etc; and
- Provide other support as needed to ensure content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability.
AUDIENCE ENGAGEMENT (20% of time)
- Actively reply to comments and chats across platforms;
- Engage with mentions to the platform and its stories;
- Monitor audience sentiment on social media on specific subjects we are working on; and
- Identify and engage with other relevant social media content creators for possible collaborations.
AMPLIFY & OUTREACH (20% of time)
- Plan and execute thematic monthly newsletters based on Mongabay’s reporting priorities;
- Put out roundup articles, listicles and threads on social depending on important events and project-based deliverables;
- Reach out to networks, organizations, people to increase audiences for programmes conducted by Mongabay (such as webinars); and
- Support the editorial team in delivering stories and series to targeted platforms in order to increase probability of impacts and awareness of Mongabay’s work.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Three or more years of experience in social media and posting for organisations;
- Applicants should be familiar with social-media platforms and analytical tools such as Google Analytics, Tweetdeck, Facebook Creator Studio and HootSuite (or similar);
- Exceptional fluency (writing and speaking) in English is required and proficiency in Hindi is preferred;
- Professional experience working in a journalism capacity is also preferred;
- Basic knowledge of environmental and conservation issues, especially those relevant to India and South Asia is ideal;
- Basic image editing and processing skills; knowledge of design and familiarity with design software is a plus;
- In-depth knowledge of the publication process and best practices is preferred;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Exceptional team communication and collaboration skills;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, WordPress (or similar), Google Drive, Social Media (Twitter / Facebook) and project management software;
- Must be able to work within tight deadlines and be responsive to Mongabay headquarters and to other Mongabay staffers via email, asana, skype, phone, and text.
- Reliable access to high-speed Internet is required;
- Must be willing to commit to a full-time role (40 hours per week) and available during regular business hours;
- Must be based in India.
This position will play a critical role in the scale-up of Mongabay’s environmental reporting efforts in India. Due to our organization’s culture and global work-at-home staff, the most successful staffs at Mongabay are adept at working independently and produce consistent high-quality journalistic work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. In this context, this person:
- Is extremely self-directed, motivated, and reliable;
- Excels in their understanding of the social media ecosystem;
- Demonstrates talent in creating copy for social media and appropriate creatives;
- Has an analytical mindset needed to parse and understand data from website analytics and social media engagement;
- Functions independently and produces high quality work with tight deadlines;
- Understands ethical and editorial journalistic standards;
- Makes timely decisions and demonstrates good judgment;
- Integrates cross-cultural dynamics into their thinking;
- Maintains a strong sense of professionalism and communication;
- Adjusts approaches according to feedback;
- Contributes to the Mongabay team by communicating and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results;
- Fosters positive relationships with journalists and co-partnership media outlets and;
- Demonstrates personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
COMPENSATION & LOCATION
As a globally distributed organization, we are hiring for this position who is based in India. The ability to coordinate with colleagues working in a diversity of time zones is strongly preferred. This position will be hired on a 12-month contract to start. Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time staff. Please submit a pay range when applying.
Apply online here. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until filled. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following two documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.
Benefits, Holidays, and Paid Time Off
It is important for all staff to step away from work to renew themselves. That is why Mongabay provides generous paid time off (PTO) for professional development, holidays, sick time, rest and relaxation, and vacation including a flexible work schedule.
We observe 10 U.S Federal holidays and support staff who celebrate other personal and religious holidays.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mongabay is an equal employment opportunity (EEO)/affirmative action employer and provides EEO to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other status prohibited by law.
* The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required. All staff is responsible for following applicable Mongabay policies and procedures as defined by their manager and Employment Handbook.