This listing has expired.
Are you social savvy and passionate about wildlife conservation? Would you love to help conservationists find meaningful, impactful careers?
Then we want YOU as one of our Social Media Officers (Volunteer) to help grow and engage the Conservation Careers community and share exciting new resources for conservationists!
We have up to six volunteer (unpaid) roles, based anywhere with an internet connection. You’ll need about 2-4 hours per week for 4 months or more, and in return you’ll receive plenty of free career support resources.
About Conservation Careers
We are the #1 careers advice centre for conservationists – helping over 630,000 conservationists in 178 countries across the globe.
We believe that all wildlife is beautiful and that it deserves great conservationists working to protect it. We have extensive international knowledge, experience and a network of contacts within the conservation career sector. This means that we can help job seekers and conservation organisations to form lasting relationships. We do this by providing careers advice and information to a network of dedicated conservationists across the globe.
Learn more about our mission, vision and values.
About the role
As Social Media Officer (Volunteer), your mission is to ensure that everyone in the Conservation Careers online community feels inspired and supported in order to achieve career success. You’ll help update and grow our social media channels day-to-day (including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram), bringing opportunities, resources and activities to life, while supporting our values and wider goals. You’ll post daily content across our channels following a monthly plan and ad-hoc updates.
Our social media following has more than doubled in the past year and we now have over 130,000 followers on social, on the following channels:
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/conservation-careers – 76,799 followers
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/Conservationcareers/ – 25,262 followers
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ConservCareers – 20,866 followers
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/conservcareers/ – 3,737 followers
- YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/ConservationCareers – 899 followers
This is an exciting time to join Conservation Careers. You’ll help share brand-new resources we’re developing for conservationists, including our career and professional development courses, ultimate guides, webinars, and much more.
Here are just a few of the exciting upcoming projects you’ll have the opportunity to contribute to:
- Creating social media campaigns to promote new Conservation Careers online courses.
- Using creative approaches or campaigns to grow our LinkedIn and Instagram channels.
- Developing an image database to showcase conservation jobs in action.
Examples of past projects our social media volunteers have led include:
- Planning, designing and launching our Instagram platform
- Creating video trailers to promote webinars and podcasts
- Leading a social media campaign to promote our Conservation Careers Kick-Starter course, and How to Apply for Any Conservation Job course
- Designing Instagram stories and Highlight Stories
- Developing best practice guidelines
- Designing infographics
We’re seeking people who are passionate about wildlife conservation and helping conservationists enjoy meaningful, impactful careers.
- Great attention to detail and a healthy dose of creativity.
- An eye for crafting posts that grab attention.
- Knowledge of social media best practice for at least one of the core platforms we manage (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram).
- Complete English fluency (writing, reading, speaking and listening). Applicants from any country are encouraged to apply, but you must have English fluency equivalent to native level to be considered.
- Experience successfully building and engaging online communities.
- Experience delivering effective social media campaigns.
- Knowledge of best practice for additional channels we manage (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube).
- An understanding of the impact social media can create for a business.
- Experience using Hootsuite.
- Graphic design skills.
- Video editing skills.
Location: Anywhere! (home-based)
Time commitment: Part-time, 2–4 hours per week for 4-6 months. You will usually need to be available for 20-30 minutes daily from Monday to Friday.
Start date: 25 October 2021 or as soon as possible
Trial period: 1 month
What we offer
While this position is unpaid, we can offer:
- Valuable professional experience with a global conservation company
- A chance to make a HUGE difference for conservationists and conservation
- Full access to our online Conservation Careers Kickstarter course (value £295), including a Conservation Careers Academy membership for the duration of your role
- Full access to our next online Communications for Conservation Projects course (value £295)
- Full access to our next online How to Apply for Any Conservation Job course (value £295)
- A role with small, young company that values agility, openness, collaboration and optimism
- Flexible working hours
- References and recommendations depending on performance
To apply, please email Kristi Foster, Head of Engagement, at firstname.lastname@example.org explaining:
- Why you’d like the role (<150 words)
- How you’ll benefit (<150 words)
- Your availability
- Sample posts (see below)
With your application, please choose one opportunity from our Job Board or Careers Advice Blog and write sample Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram posts showing how you would promote them on social. You can visit our Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram channels to get a feel for our style. Your posts should include text, image(s)/video, link and hashtags (where appropriate) and be sent as screenshots of draft posts (e.g. either on the social platforms themselves or via a publishing platform like Hootsuite).
Applications are open until 11:59pm (GMT) Monday 18 October 2021.