This listing has expired.
Location: Cahuita, Costa Rica
Employment Type: Full-Time
Minimum Experience: Experienced
Start date: ASAP
About the role
GVI’s wildlife conservation research base in Cahuita is found in the stunning Cahuita National Park in Costa Rica. The Program Manager’s role on this hub is to deliver world-leading volunteer and internship programs and manage the GVI hub, by focusing on growth, learning and impact. This person is responsible for ensuring effective day-to-day running of the program operations, building and maintaining partnerships with the community, effectively managing staff and participants, and achieving the financial and quality goals of the organization.
The ideal candidate for this position will speak fluent Spanish, be hugely passionate about conservation, and thrive off living in basic, remote conditions such as the Cahuita National Park. They will have strong staff and volunteer management experience, be experienced in health and safety, and feel comfortable with being the most senior person responsible for the day-to-day running of this base.
You are outgoing with a passion for nature and the conservation thereof. You excel in problem-solving and love to work with people.
Being fluid is your left arm, and resilient is your right. Your feet are firmly on the ground, yet you are able to conquer the highest mountain if the occasion needs you to do so.
Your sense of humour is accommodating and your understanding of diversity and inclusion is something you are very proud of.
You are amazing as you are, and we’ll love having you on the team.
What you will do
- Oversee Health and Safety protocols to ensure the safety of all participants, staff and other visitors to the hub.
- Work with the line manager to roll out and regularly improve a set of operating practices and experience standards (“OPES”) covering all key aspects of the hub’s programs.
- Provide recommendations to line manager to develop and implement new programs and initiatives, then work with the central support marketing team to create and deliver programs.
- Design local development theory in line with GVI central theory, and implement project monitoring through monthly impact reporting across staff, community and students and periodic evaluation of impact
- Ensure the successful implementation and delivery of all GVI marketing and internal communication initiatives.
- Be the escalation point for any issues which arise at the hub, including participant complaints, medical issues, natural disasters etc.
- In conjunction with central support and line manager, assist with recruiting and onboarding of new staff members.
- Responsible for financial and overall reporting of the hub.
- Connect and liaise with in-country partners to build and maintain relationships.
What you will need
- 2-5 years of experience successfully managing staff
- 2-5 years of volunteer management experience
- Wildlife conservation experience
- Fluent Spanish is required for this role
- Education background in science/wildlife conservation
- Health and safety trained
- Strong people, communication and time management skills
- Commitment, drive and enthusiasm to develop yourself and others
- Hardworking, with the ability to lead and problem solve
- Flexible, open-minded, adaptable team player
- Safety management experience
- Experience living in remote conditions
What we offer
- Monthly salary
- Visa costs (if applicable)
- Emergency medical and travel insurance
In addition, GVI has the following perks:
- Training fund
- Social allowance
- Leadership development
- In-house counselling support
- Growth opportunities across our 17 locations!
GVI is an international multi-award-winning social enterprise on a mission to build a global network of people united by their passion to make a difference. We run programs in 13 countries worldwide aligned to the objectives of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
GVI is a platform for personal growth, and our staff have the ability to develop themselves across teams, departments, and even locations! We value passion, authenticity, entrepreneurship and innovation and treat all of our stakeholders with respect and compassion above everything else.
You can find out more about the types of work we do, and who we are as an organization here.
Please submit your CV along with a cover letter stating why you feel you would be the best candidate for this role.
Please note: We will do our utmost to respond to all applicants, however, given the large volume of applications we receive, this isn’t always possible. If you do not hear back from us within three-four weeks, please take it that on this occasion your application was unsuccessful.