The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
This position will primarily support the Business and Biodiversity Programme’s new DFID Forest Governance, Markets and Climate (FGMC) grant related activities. The post holder will undertake research required for the maintenance and development of SPOTT, an initiative of ZSL’s Business and Biodiversity Programme.
SPOTT’s aim is to promote industry transparency and accountability, with the objective of securing environmental and social best practice in high biodiversity impact sectors. SPOTT has expanded from the flagship palm oil platform to cover other sectors, starting with timber and pulp and the successful candidate will carry out research and associated engagement activities to monitor companies predominantly in the timber and pulp sector.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Research to support the development, design and implementation of company assessment indicators, research protocols and new features on SPOTT
- Research for the selection of new companies within the existing commodities covered, and for the expansion of SPOTT into new commodities.
- Respond to the research needs of the Business and Biodiversity Programme, working across work streams to support the delivery of SPOTT for multiple commodities.
- Working with other members of ZSL and external service providers, support development and maintenance of systems for the storage, management and presentation of SPOTT data.
- Contacting companies for feedback on their assessments.
- Collection and verification of data submitted and reported by companies.
- Preparation of research reports for external audiences. This includes analysis on trends and status of company disclosure of environmental, social and governance (ESG) information, based on SPOTT assessments and data.
- Organising and delivering project-related meetings and the preparation of materials and minutes.
- BSc/BA in a relevant subject or relevant experience.
- Experience in research and data management
- Familiarity with Microsoft Access desirable.
- An understanding of business and biodiversity conservation issues – particularly as they pertain to the tropical forestry sector
- Excellent research skills.
- Familiarity with legality issues in the tropical forestry sector, particularly the EU Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade (FLEGT) Action Plan
- Excellent written and spoken English and French.
- Familiarity with the palm oil and rubber sectors is desirable.
For a full Job Description please click here.
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking the “Apply for this job online” button. If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: Midnight Sunday 30th September 2018.