This listing has expired.
We’re looking for a new strategic lead to help ensure we achieve our vision of protecting badgers from the badger cull and other threats. We’re looking for a new strategic lead to help ensure we achieve our vision of protecting badgers from the badger cull and other threats. In this role, you’ll develop and execute an inspiring and actionable national strategy and action plan. You will be based at Derbyshire Wildlife Trust but you will work very closely with other Wildlife Trusts and external stakeholders. You will also help co-ordinate campaigns locally, regionally and nationally, ensuring a strong and high profile voice for badgers. To be successful, you will need to care deeply about badgers and you will need to be someone who thrives when managing a wide range of stakeholder views.
In this role, you’ll own all our badger work, including:
- Develop and implement our Badger Strategy- we have some great foundations in place – but it will be your job to lead on developing the national badger strategy and delivery plan at a national level for Wildlife Trusts working closely with the national office and with all Wildlife Trusts with an interest in badgers in order to help inform this strategy.
- Leadership -you’ll be a trusted advisor, coach and source of information and support to Wildlife Trusts across the UK; keeping abreast of emerging science on badgers and bovine TB and acting as a key spokesperson when required.
- Grow our Delivery Programme – we are a fast moving and fast growing organisation. You will help to ensure we continue to grow our badger work in a sustainable way, showing a good eye for spotting new commercial opportunities and developing innovative partnerships.
- Improve our Impact – you will leverage our platform and reputation, playing an active role in developing links with partners and the wider sector as well as regularly promoting badgers and our badger work via media and social media.
- Build Partnerships – you will help to drive the development of the Trusts networks locally, regionally and nationally.
- Culture – you will inspire an agile and creative culture, embracing new technology and adopting fresh approaches to support rapid delivery of our ambitious aims, ensuring we are able to harness opportunities, secure new funding sources, remove barriers and overcome challenges.
- People development- we have a talented and ambitious team. You’ll be responsible for ensuring that everyone has access to the knowledge and training as well as the energy and capability that they need to deliver as well as continue to grow and develop.
We’re looking for an experienced leader with a passion for nature’s recovery.
This role might be right for you if:
- You have demonstrable experience of building complex partnerships
- You have secured large grants and contracts
- You have direct experience of species protection work at a regional or ideally national level
- You’ve built and managed great teams so that you can lean on your practical experience when coaching team members and volunteers
- You have experience of working in a range of organisations, including knowledge of DEFRA and Natural England
- You have worked in a senior role before and feel comfortable talking to a diverse range of stakeholders with different interests, perspectives and personalities
- You have direct experience of working on a complex and polarised issue or problem
- You’re self-aware, reflective and endlessly curious – you’re always looking for opportunities to do things better
- You have a strong Emotional Quotient, with great interpersonal and communication abilities
- You’re a strategic thinker with hands-on style (you’ll need to be comfortable keeping the ship running whilst developing a team around you)
- You demonstrate drive and flexibility, tact and patience and thrive in an ever-evolving environment.
- You’re unafraid of hard conversations when they need to be had.
- You love technology and are excited about the opportunity to create something new and unexpected
- You’re comfortable and adept at navigating change.