This listing has expired.
The Sumatran Orangutan Society (SOS) is a small charity with a big impact. We are in the process
of scaling up our investment in long-term, landscape-scale conservation of orangutan habitat in
Sumatra. To support this, we are keen to appoint an exceptional Fundraising & Communications
Officer, who is motivated, well-organised, and creative, to help us maximise our income, and
communicate our mission and impact. You will work with and build our supporter base of
individual donors, and support the Development Director to develop and grow SOS’s
community, corporate and grant fundraising.
This is a new role within the organisation and offers an exciting opportunity to make a
significant difference to a small charity with big ambitions.
Job Purpose: To support the Development Director in the delivery of the charity’s fundraising
and communications plan, in order to maximise and increase income for the charity.
Main responsibilities include:
1. Fundraising (45%)
• Grow the number and value of Orangutan Guardians (regular donors) by
implementing an agreed digital marketing strategy.
• Take the lead on supporting an active network of community fundraisers in the UK
and beyond, including sponsored challenge participants and schools.
• Support the Development Director in growing major donor and corporate funding
through researching prospects, supporting stewardship, and account management.
• Support the Development Director in identifying and coordinating grant
opportunities for core and project funding.
• Deliver excellent stewardship, by actively managing supporter care processes,
messages and materials, enabling donors to build an informed and committed
relationship with SOS.
• Keep an eye out for new fundraising opportunities, and make creative suggestions.
2. Communication (25%)
• Strategically identify and develop content for our website, social media and enewsletters
to grow our supporter base, and increase engagement and donations.
• Interact with our communities on these platforms to showcase our work and expand
• Analyse performance of each digital channel and recommend ways to improve
engagement and support; use Google Analytics and AdWords to improve traffic and
conversions on our website (training can be provided).
• Demonstrate our impact to supporters on an ongoing basis.
• As the first point of contact for enquiries via post, email, website and social media,
provide excellent supporter care.
3. Administration (20%)
• Administer and ensure acknowledgement of all donations received by SOS.
• Responsible for the administration, processes and systems that underpin fundraising
activities, including importing data and keeping track of supporter permissions to
ensure we are GDPR compliant.
• Ensure the CRM database is used effectively to manage our relationships and
support fundraising campaigns and appeals, including data entry, segmentation,
data extraction and reports (training can be provided).
4. Other (10%)
• Support the organisation of and attend charity events and some trustee meetings.
• Undertake any other duties which may be reasonably required in the position and
contribute to wider activity and the overall success of the charity