This listing has expired.
InnoTech Alberta is a key component of Alberta’s innovation system; its talented and experienced team of experts offers a wide range of applied research and development technologies and services. InnoTech Alberta is partnering with the Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute (ABMI); an arms-length, value-neutral, scientific organization that measures and reports on the health of Alberta’s Biodiversity. The ABMI conducts world-class biodiversity monitoring of more than 2000 species and habitats throughout Alberta. Together, these organizations are seeking up to 40 qualified summer Field Technologists to survey terrestrial and/or aquatic biodiversity indicators.
- Field data collection to support baseline Ecosystem Health Monitoring or the Oil Sands Monitoring project (forest stand, soil, mammal/bird monitor collection, plants, wetlands, ground truthing, etc.)
Work is done in groups of two throughout Alberta, sometimes up to 500 m from a partner, often in bear country. Data collection can be physically demanding, weather uncooperative, wildlife encounters likely, and insects persistent. All technical training and certifications are provided.
- Possession of or working toward a degree or diploma in biology, natural resources, forestry or a related field
- Previous related field work experience
- Ability to endure long days, flexible work plans, challenging conditions, and rigorous fieldwork
- Experience with some or all of the following: GPS, compass, navigation, 4X4, ATV, aerial image interpretation, working around helicopters, backcountry camping
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- A good attitude and a sense of humour
- Valid Alberta Class 5 Drivers License or equivalent
- Eligible to work in Canada or currently in possession of a work permit
Skills in boreal, grassland, alpine, or aquatic plant identification are an asset!
These are temporary 4-month positions (Beginning of May – August 2022). Food allowance, accommodation and transportation in the field are provided. Minimum starting salary is $2800 per month and is commensurate with number of seasons experience with the ABMI, qualifications, and specific demands of the position.