This listing has expired.
The Digital and Data Solutions Team supports teams across the breadth of JNCC’s work, creating innovative solutions for all digital development, data engineering and IT-related work, in addition to advice and guidance on information management.
The postholder will guide the work of the data engineering teamlet, lead some projects and contribute to others, through advice, technical recommendations, requirements gathering, business analysis and project management. You could be managing the delivery of satellite data processed on a supercomputer; developing systems to manage species and habitat information or evaluating business systems to help the organisation work more efficiently. In the team are IT and Information Management specialists, data engineers and software developers, but you’ll also work with marine, terrestrial and air quality experts across the organisation and beyond on projects that deliver conservation advice and evidence to governments and specialists in the UK, Overseas Territories and elsewhere.
You don’t need to be a conservation scientist but will need to build a broad understanding of JNCC’s work and be able to integrate technical delivery with the broader business. A key part of the role will be to help staff across the organisation to turn their digital aspirations into deliverable solutions. The successful candidate must be a good communicator with strong project management and technical skills. Scripting and programming experience would be an advantage. An interest in nature conservation would help to put your work in context but is not a necessity.
The main duties of the Technical Project Manager post are to:
• Lead a small team of data engineers who provide data and scripting expertise to create innovative automated solutions for teams across JNCC
• Assist staff across the organisation to identify and develop appropriate digital solutions for particular pieces of work, including through requirements’ gathering, business analysis, contractor evaluation, and technical liaison.
• Manage all aspects of a broad range of projects, from conception to successful delivery, both internally and through external contracts, often at short notice, or to meet deadlines.
• Undertake day-to-day management of project teams, encouraging good data practice and the development of a broad range of technical skills.
• Oversee the technical support for ongoing work such as European reporting (Bern Convention).
• Maintain a broad understanding of JNCC’s work, including keeping up to date with the adoption of new approaches and priorities.
• Maintain an overview of existing and emerging methods and research in technological approaches.
• Support colleagues within JNCC more broadly where technical expertise is required, coaching and sharing knowledge where appropriate.
• Liaise between internal/external project partners and the team.
Please demonstrate in your statement of suitability your reasons for applying and any other information you feel may be relevant to your application. You should also state here your post preference.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
- Delivering at Pace
- Managing a Quality Service
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- A good understanding of spatial (geographic) and non-spatial data; their applications, management and lifecycle from discovery to archive.
- A good understanding of web technologies, software/systems development, and the use of data analytics.
- Experience in project management for digital project delivery including Agile methodologies.
- Experience in business analysis principles and techniques, with particular reference to effective liaison between technical experts and customers to define, prioritise and articulate requirements as technical specifications.
- Experience of contractor and contract management and processes; including writing an invitation to tender, evaluating tenders and managing an effective delivery.
- Experience of managing a project budget within financial systems.
- Demonstrable ability to create and apply innovative technical or digital solutions to support specific areas of business.
JNCC is committed to creating an environment where everyone feels valued and respected and see this as a good place to work. JNCC has a responsibility to ensure that we have an inclusive culture where discrimination, harassment, bullying and prejudice will not be tolerated. Our selection process is determined on fair and open competition and regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership.
Continuous professional development (CPD)
Employees are encouraged to keep developing skills and professional knowledge.
JNCC has made available, and encourages employees to use, on average, five working days per annum for CPD activities with access to related funding
JNCC annual leave allowance is 25 days per annum. After five years’ service, leave entitlement increases to 30 days per annum.
In addition to annual leave, JNCC offers 12 public and privilege days per annum, three of which are explicitly reserved for office closure between Christmas and New Year.
JNCC supports flexible working hours and practices to help employees strike a good balance between work life and personal life.
Our policies are family-friendly and include flexi-time, flexible working patterns, compressed hours and dispersed working. JNCC also offers paid maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave, over and above the minimum statutory entitlements. Some work/life balance benefits are available following a minimum length of service.
Any move from another employer will mean you can no longer access childcare vouchers. This includes moves between government departments. You may however be eligible for other government schemes, including Tax-Free Childcare. Determine your eligibility at https://www.childcarechoices.gov.uk/
Civil Service Pension
Employees will have the opportunity to join Civil Service pension arrangements, which include a valuable range of benefits. JNCC makes a significant contribution to the cost of employee pensions.
Employee Assistance Programme
JNCC provides employees with a free and confidential support service which gives unlimited access to information, advice and emotional support to help employees prepare for and manage all of life’s ups and downs, events and challenges.
JNCC has entered into a partnership agreement with its recognised Trade Unions: Prospect and PCS, which employees are able to join and be involved with.
Salary sacrifice schemes
Employee Discount Scheme
Civil Service Sports Club
Things you need to know
Selection process details
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.