This listing has expired.
ABOUT TROUT UNLIMITED
Trout Unlimited is a national organization with 300,000 members and supporters organized into over 400 chapters and councils nationwide. These dedicated grassroots volunteers are matched by a respected staff of organizers, lawyers, policy experts and scientists, who work out of more than 45 offices across the country. Our mission is to conserve, protect, and restore North America’s cold-water fisheries and their watersheds.
The Wild Steelhead Initiative (Initiative) advocate leads advocacy work in Washington State to protect and restore wild steelhead. This entails advocating policies and management that will achieve wild steelhead conservation goals and provide sustainable wild steelhead angling opportunities in priority river basins. It also will entail communicating, primarily through social media, about the goals, progress and issues related to the Initiative overall. Specific duties and responsibilities are set forth below. The position will be based in western Washington, preferably in or within a reasonable driving distance of Olympia.
Title: Wild Steelhead Initiative Advocate
Department: Western Conservation
Reports to: Pacific Northwest Director, Sportsmen’s Conservation Project
Position type/hours: Full time/40 hours
Date: November, 2019
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Educate, organize and mobilize anglers and wild steelhead advocates (primarily supporters of Wild Steelheaders United and Trout Unlimited) to obtain policies and management practices to advance Initiative goals
- Develop and sustain productive relationships with key staff at the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission members, and elected officials important to advancing the Initiative
- Generate and lead staff efforts to develop compelling content for the Wild Steelheaders United website, newsletter, and social media channels
- Use and manage multiple social media platforms to generate support for Initiative goals and recruit supporters of Wild Steelheaders United
- Guided by the Initiative’s science director and with support from Trout Unlimited’s Science Team, identify and organize angler science projects to gather data and information important to advancing Initiative goals
- Assist with fundraising efforts including attending and helping to organize donor recruitment and retention events and recruiting potential business supporters
- Communicate regularly with TU’s Washington State Council and state chapters regarding Initiative projects and developments
- Recruit anglers and organizations to join Wild Steelheaders United
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience
- A passion for wild steelhead conservation and steelhead fishing
- Demonstrated team-building skills and a passion for connecting with and motivating people to get active for a cause
- Issue campaign experience
- Project management experience
- Working knowledge of steelhead biology and ecology, academic background in fisheries a plus
- Sophisticated understanding of the political and cultural dynamics in Washington specifically and the region generally relevant to wild steelhead conservation
- Ability and desire to work respectfully with diverse interests to solve problems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. In particular, substantial experience required with developing and delivering content for websites and social media, including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Website administration skills a plus
- Established relationships with reporters, editors, bloggers and influencers a plus
- Experienced steelhead angler
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop Suite a plus
- Ability to work independently
- Strong team ethic
- Ability to engage in various physical activities related to Initiative field work, such as hiking, snorkeling and wading rivers
- Ability to travel frequently throughout Washington and occasionally to other Pacific Northwest states
- Valid driver’s license and a personal automobile
- Fundraising experience a plus
$60,000/yr. plus benefits
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a letter of interest and resume by December 6th, 2019 to Dean Finnerty at [email protected]. No phone calls please. Open until filled.
TU is an Equal Opportunity & Affirmative Action Employer pursuant to Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act & Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistant Act.
TU hires staff without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.
Please fill out this form https://www.tu.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/voluntary_form.pdf. And submit it as an attachment to this e-mail address [email protected]